Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
284 is enough - NEW new fic rec thread
284 is enough - NEW new fic rec thread
Quote:
"But... who IS Mizuki?" he asked, completely cluelessly. The Hokage sweatdropped. One of the most hailed Jounin in all the land, legendary master of over one thousand Jutsus (though no one has really confirmed that), and genius tactician, and he couldn't even keep track of his own peers. The old man sighed. Somehow, he probably should have expected this. He handed over some documents to the Jounin, who accepted them. He looked through the quickly.
"Huh. Chuunin level, Ninja academy instructor, specializes in weapons," he noted. "But this isn't part of my jurisdiction. I'm a field agent. This sort of business is something that ANBU Second 'Internal Affairs' Division should handle, isn't it?" The old man nodded.
"Yes... but it seems that they all caught the flu." Kakashi sweatdropped.
"All of them?" he asked. The Sandaime shrugged.
"...So it seems." Kakashi stared at him disbelievingly.
"...How did that happen?" he asked incredulously. The old man shrugged again.
"Apparently, Sakuragi-kun was the one who originally caught it. They went out drinking last night, and this morning, all of them were too sick to get out of bed."
The Road of Life is a fic by thei[ in which Teen Kakashi does NOT adopt Baby Naruto... but a few years later, he pulls a Gai/Lee mentor act. Only without the manly tears of joy and exclamations about the burning flame of the springtime of youth. Thei also has one called Underneath the Underneath that diverges when the Four Sound come to get Sasuke, which I haven't read yet.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: 284 is enough - NEW new fic rec thread
The tales by Quiver on fanfiction.net
www.fanfiction.net/u/313791/
If you are interested in Darkwing Duck fanfics that is.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
From the writer who wrote The Weakest Link and Midnight Pirouette, The Peculiar Case of the Countess Maria Contessa Alexia Anastasia von Hautkopft of Ulm and Her Birthday Present, a Sailor Moon/Nadia/Aristocats/Les Miserables crossover. To quote the author:
"The following is a mostly true parable of bad things happening to awful,
ill-mannered people. By the close of this story, a priceless painting
will be burned to a crisp, a nun will become shamelessly inebriated, the
Paris vice squad will be summoned, the country of Spain will be hideously
slandered, temporal logic will be viciously insulted, and an innocent
cat will be frozen solid and then desecrated. Regrettably, I do
not endorse these sordid events, I merely report them. Such is my fate.
How these vulgar circumstances came to pass is perhaps the most utterly
disturbing chapter in the life of one of our intrepid heroes, and thus
should be ignored completely. Please."
Very weird, but quite humorous.*********
Touched By His Noodly Appendage
www.venganza.org
Roxie Snape writes mainly slash, but her Shake Me is a reasonably good het HP AU - Harry ran away from the Dursleys at five, and stayed hidden until he was fifteen. He's had a mentor/tutor in that time, made freinds of some powerful magical creatures, and has something of a bad attitude, but the only "Harry Sue" aspect he really has is drawing girls like bees on honey. The grammar is a little wonky here and there, an' some'a the characters use slang ya'd never 'spect, but over all it's amusing, and satisfyingly long if kind of abrupt in how it ends. There's also a 900-something word coda that completely failed to get her muse going on a promised sequel.
- CD
ETA: Though he has four other long-to-very-long stories I haven't read yet, Old Crow's No Thanks is good enough that I reccomend all of them, without major reservation. No Thanks does have strong HP/HG and no-conscience-manipulator-Bumbledore themes, but with those premises accepted, is easily one of those fanfics that makes HBP look like a steaming load.
Actually, it's kind of like The Muggle Way only not a crossover, and complete - itself always a point in a story's favor.That which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Wellllllll...
Since I don't think I've really contributed to one of these in, like, ever, let's see what's lurking on my shiny new ff.net account.
When Dawn Comes, a Sailor Moon AU. Kinda cool - certainly more interesting than what I remember actually happening.
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse, despite the stupid title, is a truly cool and fascinating Inuyasha AU. Badass Kagome - w00t! The author's other fic, which's about a reincarnated Rin, is also worth a look-see.
Counterpoint The author's summary puts it best: This is the story of a girl who gathered the Seven Seishi of Seiryuu, and obtained the power to make every wish come true...
History Aaagh! It's not done! A Full Metal Panic fic that looks at Sosuke's background...
Mystic Eyes Make no mistake, folks, this is the Escaflowne continuation.
Return to Gaea isn't as good as Quicksilver's take on the same concept, but it's quite close, and finished, which, as has been said, goes far.
Kannazuki no Miko: Lovers Eternal is a ground up reenvisioning and retelling of KnM. It is, IMHO, better than the original, and would be even without the nifty Japanese mythology stuff that you don't see most places.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Shake Me's not bad. Not my thing, though.
As for old-crow....
All of his early works suffer from over-use of the word 'so'. For example, "I'm *so* sorry you...."
But for a quick review:
Letters and Lunches not bad, a little juvenille, but a fun read.
No Thanks as listed above. It's a much better put-together work, and one of my favorites.
Summer of Choices/Four Apprentices The first work of this pair I liked a lot more than the second, but both are a bit wacky for my tastes.
Tom and Harry One of the few post-HBP works I like.
www.fanfiction.net/u/616007/

Now, for something new, that I don't think was recommended:
DrT
www.fictionalley.org/authors/drt/
DrT's works are remarkably interesting, even though he's got a weird focus on H/L, and some tendencies I don't really get. He spends a *lot* of effort on making sure his characters don't sleep together until marriage, even going so far as to come up with technical reasons for it. He also has either a fetish, or some weird principle in that he tends to desribe the girls as being Twiggy-esque or Marilyn Monroe-like.
Edit: Additional note: DrT likes slash relationships, but not in main characters. Of note: Dean Thomas/Colin Creevy.
As for his works:
Harry and Hermione Series - This is essentially a continuation of his other work "Muggles at Bay?", in which a bunch of DE attacks get foiled by their victims. Decent.
To The Rescue Series - Long, and very odd, but a decent read. Essentially, the Wizarding UN takes the British MoM over, and screws up *everyone's* plans.
Great Minds Think Alike - One of my favorite one-shots ever.
Harry Potter and the Six Virgins - A riot, in a 'I can't believe this shit' sort of way. Basically a big deus ex machina appears out of the woodwork to nuke Voldemort, but requires some things from Harry and his friends first....--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re: Shake Me
Meh. There seems to be a good story lurking in there somewhere -- it's keeping me reading so far -- but it's almost completely obscured by an amateurish narrative voice, rampant homophone misspellings, missing words, and the inability to make characters talk like they do in the books. (And I don't mean Harry -- I accept his change in voice. It's just that Voldemort shouldn't sound like a 14-year-old.)

-- Bob
---------
For Jor-El so loved the Earth, he sent his only begotten son...
Re: Wellllllll...
Quote:
When Dawn Comes
Sorry, between the NA dub names (and I can't believe I just snobbed on that) and the quantity of misspellings (including my particular pet peeve, which is mangling "definately" into "defiantly") within the first ten paragraphs, I've decided to give this a pass. The others I have yet to look at.

-- Bob
---------
What is up with FF.net now?
Three times so far today alone, I've tried to go to a ff.net page, only to find it completely obscured with a giant ad or redirected to an entirely separate site. Are they turning even more unfriendly than they've been recently?

-- Bob
---------
Re: What is up with FF.net now?
Interestingly enough I had rather the reverse happen to me this morning, where I was attempting to read Cat Tales String theory chapter 8, but was totally unable to pull it off of Chris' homestead.com page but was able to get it painlessly from FF.Net
Go figure.
Perhaps some wannabe skript kiddie is trying to make a nucance of himself by going after FF.net, also... "I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Re: What is up with FF.net now?
It's not FF.net, it's their advertisement provider. Apparently they've started allowing a lot more obtrusive stuff in. Time will only tell if that makes the FF.net gets change providers.--
ff.net and ads
the advertisments on ff.net got so anoying for me a while back that I installed adblock on firefox. problem solved.
Fics
Guardian
Ranma ditches the Nerima scene and joins the police. He get's assigned to the misfit Department of Abnormal Phenomenae Containment.
Quote:
"I dunno, guys..."
"Aw, c'mon! You have to do it! Think of it as an initiation ritual!"
"But... I just don't know about this..."
"Oh, don't be such a baby! It's simple! All you have to do is drink a whole bottle of spiced rum, and then disarm a live Claymore anti-personnel mine!"
"Yeah... but I don't drink. And besides that, I don't really know how to disarm one of those when I'm sober."
"Don't worry about it! It's easy! Besides, all the cool police officers do it!"
"Well...... if I have to do it to be cool..."
Cold Turkey
Kaname gets fed up with Sousuke's military antics, and extracts a promise from him to do absolutly nothing military related for a week. School wide payback ensues.
Quote:
I am simply taking notes, Kaname. That is not against the rules. I will later check it twice. It merely records who has been naughty and who has been nice. He paused, thinking. Everyone on my list so far has been naughty.
--
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaught of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Re: Fics
Quote:
the advertisments on ff.net got so anoying for me a while back that I installed adblock on firefox. problem solved.
Doh! Someone beat me to it!
I have the entire ad *****s ripped out. Its surprisingly how nice ff.nets layuot actually is without that.
Edit: and keeping with the thread premise, and because I can't remember if it was in the last thread or not:
www.fanfiction.net/s/2698347/1/
A new kenshin AU by Vathara.
who continues his ass-kickingness so thoroughly im sad its a one-shot :-(
Skewing the Odds - a new fic from Ruskbyte. More time travel, but with an original twist this time. Heh, I'm still chuckling over this.*********
www.venganza.org
Here's another fic that is interesting.
Justice League: The Spider
www.fanfiction.net/s/2070973/1/
--------------------
Quote:
Skewing the Odds - a new fic from Ruskbyte. More time travel, but with an original twist this time. Heh, I'm still chuckling over this.
Indeed. But the sad thing is, I want to see more.

-- Bob
---------
Not really a new recommendation, but...
The gents at fanficauthors.net have added Mr. Intel to their roster:
mrintel.nsns.fanficauthors.net/--
Quote:
Here's another fic that is interesting.
www.fanfiction.net/s/2070973/1/
Wonderful premise, but unfortunately poorly written.

(Edit: Man, I can't type lately.)--
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Here's another fic that is interesting.
www.fanfiction.net/s/2070

Wonderful premise, but unfortunately poorly written.
As to the writing of Agent G? Well, I can't argue. I can put up with it, since I once read a story forced through Google's translation engine.
It is a wonderful premise. Very much so and gave me an inspiration. [Image: wink.gif] Too bad I don't know a thing about Ulitmate Marvel. It's just siting on my computer and I'm playing fast and loose with Marvel's contiuity.
--------------------
This is an incredibly funny Naruto AU. Basically, it gives a reason for Sasuke ignoring his fangirls (and no, he's not gay) -- a rather humorous one. It's also a crossover. I'd tell you what with, but that would spoil the first chapter.-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
The Pheonix and the Serpent.
The Death Eater had pulled his head out of the bell jar. His appearance was utterly bizarre, his tiny babys head bawling loudly while his thick arms flailed dangerously in all directions, narrowly missing Harry, who ducked. Harry raised his wand but to his amazement Hermione seized his arm.
You cant hurt a baby!

Even if the baby is Voldemort?
Tom Potter, oldest son of Harry and Ginny, is off to Hogwarts at last. But why was his father so worried that hed be in Slytherin? Why does the Sorting Hat seem to think that hed already been sorted? And why does Professor Snape, the most feared teacher at Hogwarts, seem almost scared of him?
I've read up to chapter 3 so far and it's pretty good. Oh, the prologue link is broken, so click the first chapter then the previous chapter link.*********
www.venganza.org
Quote:
This is an incredibly funny Naruto AU. Basically, it gives a reason for Sasuke ignoring his fangirls (and no, he's not gay) -- a rather humorous one. It's also a crossover. I'd tell you what with, but that would spoil the first chapter.
The link leads to a blank page, for me. Name, perhaps? Two great tastes that go great together!
Merlin Missy has some very well written Justice League fics.
Have not tried her gargoyles stuff yet, but her JL fics are so spiffy I will have to read them later.
Quote:
The link leads to a blank page, for me. Name, perhaps?
The link works fine. It's an FF.net link, so if your browser is having FF.net issues...
Anyway, it's entitled "Death and the Uchiha". Any more would spoil parts of it...-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]