Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recommendation Thread
New Fic Recommendation Thread
Since the other one is both very long and moribund, I'll start a new thread for recommending fics. Here's one for a show that doesn't get enough quality fics, in my opinion. Chris, if you haven't seen this, it should qualify under your original terms for fics you want to read.
Ken Wolfe's El Hazard Earth. A continuation of El Hazard that picks up at the end of the original OVA, where Makoto finally comes for Ifurita. Very good, very interesting, and has some intriguing ideas that are implemented very very well.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: New Fic Recommendation Thread
Yes, I'll second that (having devoured them the day after you showed me OAV series 1... [Image: smile.gif]
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Speaking of Ken Wolfe, I've enjoyed his Sailor Moon fics for years. I particularly like Kiss of the Enemy, which is, of all things, a Sailor Moon - Draka crossover. [Image: eek.gif] Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Haven't seen that, Jeanne. I'll have to check it out soon -- as soon as my life gives me some free time again.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Yes, I'll second that (having devoured them the day after you showed me OAV series 1...
Kinda thought you might. We have OAV 2, btw, and it's not bad. It's also rather short -- an afternoon's viewing, more or less.
OAV 3, though -- after watching two tapes (yeah, I think it was before we got our DVD player), Peggy and I decided that it inhaled greatly, and gave up on it.

-- Bob
---------
KenWolfe's Fics
I third that. His Vampire Princess Miyu/Brimstone xpver was intriguing.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
El Hazard OVA3
//OAV 3, though -- after watching two tapes (yeah, I think it was before we got our DVD player), Peggy and I decided that it inhaled greatly, and gave up on it.//

We're talking the Alternative World arc? It wasn't too bad. Not to mention Makoto had to make a very difficult choice in that story.
What's sad about the entire thing is that now you have 3 girls going after him..even when it's apparent (at least to us) that he already made his choice.
An El-Hazard step would be intriguing..given the symmetry between Makoto and Doug's situations.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: KenWolfe's Fics
Quote:
I third that. His Vampire Princess Miyu/Brimstone xpver was intriguing.
Oh yeah, that's in my favorites archive.

-- Bob
---------
Re: El Hazard OVA3
Quote:
We're talking the Alternative World arc? It wasn't too bad.
Yeah, that's the one. We got bored with it -- nothing seemed to happen in the first six or seven episodes; at least, nothing we cared about.

-- Bob
---------
hmm, has this already been mentioned?
Don't know whether or not it's already been mentioned here, but I've been going over some fanfic pages and found a reference to:
I'm Here to Help - sadly discontinued, but a very interesting view at the Sailor Moon universe through the eyes of a villain/anti-hero.
www.ladykoneko.net/Librar...toHelp.htm
oh, and then there's this guy:
www.rakhal.com/florestica...index.html
For some reason, I like his writing. Interesting SM altaverses he's got in the making. Life's Blood is the one I'm bugging him to get done. The one-shots are nice, too.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Re: hmm, has this already been mentioned?
Quote:
I'm Here to Help - sadly discontinued, but a very interesting view at the Sailor Moon universe through the eyes of a villain/anti-hero.
Oh, yeah, I remember this. Pity it was never completed...

-- Bob
---------
If I may...
www.rakhal.com/florestica/index.html
In general contains a lot of very good pages. It's a bit hit & miss, but overall it's not bad.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
>If I may...
>
>ww.rakhal.com/florestica/index.html
>
>In general contains a lot of very good pages. It's a bit hit & >miss, but overall it's not bad.
I agree, but then I'm biased since that's where I set up shop.
I've already mentioned Dro'gan, but of the others who're worth checking out ... Benjamin A. Oliver, of course. Then there's Brian Randall (great stuff). Also liked most of the stuff by Aondehafka. Ukyou Kuonji has an interesting short 'Given and taken away' which is featured on her page.
... and I'm stopping before I ramble on further.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Plug for Griever too!
Let's just say your xovers are a bit on the unusual side and leave it at that.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I'm Here to help
Actually, the problem with IHTH is this...
It was completed...then something evil happened
and the last chapter got cut in half in Mark Doherty's
hard drive crash.
He posted part a of the final chapter on the FFML what
six years ago? and he suddenly disappeared.
I think Sailor pluto got him. ^_^
Re: I'm Here to help
Hmm most of my favorite fic's have been plugged in the older threads, but I think I can manage a few.
I'm sure you've all read it before, but how's about RPM's The More Things Change? Actually, does anyone know if there's more to this than what the R.A.A.C has?
I've enjoyed G.L. Sandborn's Nabiki - New Horizon's and Robotech - FOX Squadron fics.
Spanner's Halftime, a Ranma/Crono Trigger crossover isn't too bad.
Mark MacKinnon's Shadow Chronicles are pretty good too, though some of them are NSFW. Also, his Senshi scare me.
And finally, something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet, is Improfanfic. Since it's multiple authors, chapters can be hit or miss, but alot of it's pretty good. I highly recommend Final Fantasy Legacy.
And one can't talk about Improfanfic without mentioning the greatest of them all... Magical Troubleshooting Crossover Fighting Federation Ultra! and it's predecessor, MTCFF Beta.--
In Soviet City of Heroes, the EULA violates you!
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Re: I'm Here to help
Hajime and Tokio, a Rurouni Kenshin story by Angrybee. To quote, "The story of the life, and love, which grew between an unlikely couple. Follows Saitou and Tokio from the Genji era through and past the Rurouni Kenshin tale."*********
I am a very sensitive person! I can go from laughing to crying with just a kick to the face.
- Dave Attell
> Re: I'm Here to help
Actually,I have a few more recommendations:
www.iamnota.net/fanfics/ctcd/ and the following Ranma 1/2 / Harry Potter crossover www.fanfiction.net/s/1749870/1/ , which is an AU set in Harry's fifth year.
NOTE: The second story is a sequel to Comes The Cold Dragon,so Comes The Cold Dragon should be read first."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"
Re: > Re: I'm Here to help
Quote:
The second story is a sequel to Comes The Cold Dragon
Huh? CTCD isn't even finished yet. Is this by the same author?

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Quote:
Huh? CTCD isn't even finished yet. Is this by the same author?
No, it's some unauthorized sequel which is also a HP/Ranma crossover.
If I was Don, I'd have that guy shot out a cannon.--
Well, in that case I won't even bother looking at it.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Yeah. The writing's not too bad, but he's openly ripping off CTCD and suffering from a bit of Ranma-Sue-ism. The early scene where Malfoy tries to drop a Crucio on Ranma, who pretty much ignores it... well. CTCD-Ranma is pretty damn powerful, yes, and he looks even more so when placed against the backdrop of the young Hogwarts students.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Not too bad?!
My word, you've got a much higher threshold for crap than I do.--
Then again, I regularly try to convince Chris Meadows to write more Undocumented Features stuff.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Oh, Meadows wasn't that bad.--