Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poker Fics
Poker Fics
I was re-reading drakensis' fic The Night The House of Cards Was Built and it occurred to me that I'd seen this story, at least in broad strokes, before. Chilord's Poker Knight and a Harry Potter fic that I don't recall the title or author of.

So I'm wondering, is this a common trope? Is there a whole raft of fics in which the hero is empowered by being extremely successful at a game of poker?

It's not a fic trope I remember seeing very much in 16 or so years of fic reading...

And I can't think of the title, but I suspect your Potter fic is the one where he assembles a harem through poker winnings, correct? That's not entirely empowerment, if you ask me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I do have to say, Chilord's Poker Knight is a really incredibly fun story. I wish she'd update. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

The Harry Potter fic in question was The Poker Game.

He also gets a fair degree of wealth from the game, and political power from some parts of the "harem", so it can count as empowerment in one way or another.

There are a few, especially ones that overlap with Chess with Death come to mind. There is one where Cain plays with the God Emperor against the chaos gods and Q after death.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The fic with Cain is Poker Night
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.