Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fic Recommendations Meets The Harlem Globe Trotters

I think Gundams vs. Bolos would be better. Probably a better match-up in the rubber science department as well.

That's why I prefer the fic-only posts.

Without reading it I think the arguments sound stupid... I mean they are BattleTech mechs... The Laws of Thermodynamics HTAES those things with a passion...
you just need to abuse that info. In other words spam them with incindiary rounds (tank and artilery) and watch them die to internal ammo explosions and
reactor core over heating long before they get in sensor range of you. Literally anything without a flamer is reduced to a melee weapon. Your honestly better
off using flamethrower fuel tanks launched from a medevil capatult than using Korean War era AP and explosive tank shells. If Wiley Pete is involved any mech
that get more than clipped is doomed in short order.

That said... The mechs get in range without being on fire: your screwed... you torch a mech and it goes off too close: your screwed and then nuked. Battletech
air cover is going to be the real issue to deal with.

Granted this all depends on who which sides has actual tactics going... I mean spamming tanks if fine... unless you lose them in droves... then you have no
tanks and worse no crews.

Then again I always thought it was funny that the Zulu (they had lots of spears) kept taking out Italian tanks. That would be one report I'd hate to keep
writing. 'OMG Spears... the have pointy, pointy spears... send more tanks!'

Quote: blackaeronaut wrote:

I think Gundams vs. Bolos would be better. Probably a better match-up in the rubber science department as well.

Shining Spiral!

That is all.

Shining Spiral... Searching... No Match Found.

I believe you were referring to Domon Kasshu's Shining Finger attack. Which is essentially a melee attack, no matter how thin you slice it. Bolos, on the other hand, are known for plinking targets out of orbit using their Hellbore cannons - battle-ship grade main battery plasma cannons.

Before this spirals out of control, though, may I suggest we take this delightful little argument into another thread? (^_^)

Shining Spiral was an UF-style cooperative writing project from several years back. Can't recall if it started on here or the EPU forums.

Anyways, we added source material liberally. We had Gundams, Bolos (also Ogres and a third Bolo-style supertank , each feilded by a different civilization),
Zentraedi, a rather AU version of Sailor Moon, ect, ect, ect.

Much like with Fenspace, I had difficulty producing coherant storylines, instead getting several (completely unrelated) scenes. I at least helped out as a
sounding board though. The project eventually fell apart.

FWIW, a map of the Shining Spiral galaxy can be found here. It was an ambitious project, to say the least...
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

One of these days I need to make my modified Star Control 2 map for Turn the Page to show where everyone is.
Two great tastes
Actually, I'd like to see Bolos vs *Berserkers.* The Fred Saberhagen version, for those of you about to crack Norse-wise.

I mean, think about it: the two are perfect opposites. Bolos are INFALLIBLY loyal -- no Bolo has *ever* betrayed humanity, they're the Platonic Ideal of
the "Knight pure et sans reproach." The Berserkers are their dark reflection, self-aware technology turned not just against its creators, but
against life itself.

The Berserkers would find the Bolos baffling. The Bolos would find the Berserkers... beneath contempt. And while the Berserkers have the firepower advantage
(being mostly warships), the Bolos have always demonstrated the capacity for... *imagination.*

What a shame... I would have like to have seen some of that work.

did a little googling and found a few bits about/from Shining Spiral.

A chapter and a half of one of Catty Nebulart's stories

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/cattyne ... index.html

What looks to have been the seed post that led to the Spiral project

http://www.eyrie-productions.com/Forum/ ... =394&omm=0

ooh, neat. 8) The old Shining Spiral Message Board

http://www.network54.com/Forum/206346/

My god, that's still there?!

Wow.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

yeah, surprised me too. Many of the links in the threads (particularly to the various maps) are no longer active, but some of them are still good.

...y'know, looking back at the old board almost makes me want to spin that up again.

Almost. I've got *way* too much shit on the fire right now.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Speaking of Bolo's...

It Ain't The Size Of The Dog In The Fight

Warning do not have anything in your mout while reading your keyboard & monitor will thank you...
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

That was already linked to by Shepherd over in Recommendations vs. Hanoi Xan and the World Crime League thread, Werehawk. It is a fun read though. 8)

Agreed. That whole damn thing deserves to be quoted in the ROTFLMAO thread. (^_^)