Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newest Eyrie
Newest Eyrie
Bubblegum Crisis: The Iron Age, Part 3 is out.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Why, oh *why* did I have to check this board *before* I went out for dinner? {hustles off to read, like the addict he is...}

Freeeeeeow!
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

that's just freaking , I mean , and .

; )

Good stuff, Ben's riding the SI train into Gary Stu territory, but it reads awesome anyway.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

SI train? Naw.
The SI suborbital got in this morning.
Still, for all that, it's an enjoyable read. To some degree, the crazed 'oh my god he did not just do that' stuff is required for the genre. We are, after all, talking about an escapist guilty pleasure action adventure romp.
That the protagonist is doing the crazy hardware shiz, drivin' awesome cool vehicles, and makin' with the beautiful women - well, c'mon, that's sorta the point. The fact he's explicitly an author avatar does not change it, if anything it adds to it. If you don't see that, then you don't get it.
And, hell, the man writes well. Can't really ask for more.
Many professionals get by with a lot less.
-- Acyl

Many published authors write even worse SI's, too. I could name a couple.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote: Duane Peters wrote:

Why, oh *why* did I have to check this board *before* I went out for dinner? {hustles off to read, like the addict he is...}

I kin top that. I stopped by EPU as the last stop before shutting down for the night.

There is now sun outside my window and I'm suffering from typoitis
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Not QUITE the Gary Stu yet. I mean, if he was, he would have had mad martial arts skills to beat up the thugs, saved Irene, and not charged in with an
incomplete armor that resulted in him needing to pull off a movie homage plan. He'd also have built the armor single-handedly, with no need to mention Nene
and Zoner on the programming side and such. I'd class him more as Tony Stark with an interest in journalism Tongue

Quote: Matrix Dragon wrote:
I'd class him more as Tony Stark with an interest in journalism Tongue
That was what I was pondering last night and today. Benjamin Stark =/= UF's Gryphon. In several scenes, I was hearing Robert Downey Junior's voiceinstead of the amalgam of various other actors that represents Gryphon to me. Which really, I prefer.That said, "That's just cheating!" indeed. I realize why it was probably necessary, that doesn't stop it from trampling over the expectationsearlier scenes had made. Damn you, Hope Spot. Damn you.The SuperBoomer, I was glad to see, got more credit than its canon inspiration. Poor BU-99C-X1 got curbstomped in the original, but here it's a crediblethreat by a large margin, effectively unbeatable except by some stupidly crazy yet effective measures (currently).Now I'm just hoping I don't have to wait another year and a half for the next installment. (he says as affectionately tolerant as he can)---"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Laywaste."

Well, we just hit you with Fulcrum IV, and half of V came out of that (it was getting kind of unwieldy); I'm finally getting the mojo for "The
Antianeira Incident" going again, and there's movement on CSI 6 as well as rumors that two of our reconifications of stuff are in motion...

Even if TIA4 is a bit slow in coming, we got stuff for you.Brazil has decided you're cute.

Well, that's good to know. Thanks for the update!
-- Bob
---------

And because I care:

"The Antianeira Incident" is now up.Brazil has decided you're cute.

Oh thank god, for once I'm home and able to access EPU when I see one of these message. Thanks, Geoff!
-- Bob
---------

*reads through, enjoying the Black Lagoon references considerably, gets to near the end....stops.*

*reads. Rereads again. Googles to make sure.*

*chokes laughing*

Makoto Kino.

You magnificent bastards! :LOL:
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Help me out here, my UF-fu (hey, palindrome!) is weak. Exactly what is the significance of this Kilovolt character presumably being an import of Sailor
Jupiter?

Pronounced "shy guy."

Presumably, the significance is that it could be any generic supervillian, but it is Sailor Jupiter.

As, I believe, Gryph's noted that Sailor Moon was one property that would never show up in UF. I may be mistaken on that note.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

Its Sailor Moon but not as we know it Tongue

Quote: WengFook wrote:

Its Sailor Moon but not as we know it Tongue

"It's Sailor Moon, but not as we know it. Not as we know it. Not as we know it. It's Sailor Moon, but not as we know it. Not as we know it,
Min."

...sorry.
---
waste."

I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon wasn't one of those. Martin Rose brought them in peripherally a loooong time ago. And Gryphon himself used the characters
(If not their sailor personas) in NXE. The ones we'll never see, I believe, is Ranma and DBZ.

Correct. Sailor Moon is an allowed property.

The All The Tropes page for UF has the list of "banned" sources.
-- Bob
---------

Sweet. A Livewires reference. Two, really. Nicely done.

For those not in the know about Adam Warren's clockwork thugs (Social Butterfly and Gothic Lolita here, but there are three others), here's the Wikipedia entry.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I'm continually bemused by the fact that UF has a reference to F3 of all things...

-Morgan, wonders when the James Burke thing happened. '.'
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.

Right, I knew that there was already an Usagi Tsukino. Well, okay, so Kilovolt has the same name and presumably appearance as Sailor Jupiter...so what? Is this something about UF I'm just not getting?

Pronounced "shy guy."

Quote: Shay Guy wrote:

Right, I knew that there was already an Usagi Tsukino. Well, okay, so Kilovolt has the same name and presumably appearance as Sailor Jupiter...so what? Is
this something about UF I'm just not getting?
not really.... it's a bit of a game to spot the references/source material in the UF...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

...because not even Gryphon is sure of what all is actually in it.
-- Bob
---------