Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Name Game - People, Places, Things
The Name Game - People, Places, Things
In the spirit of the titles thread, mixed with a bit of writer's rescource, a (hopefully communal) list of interesting names to use instead of wasting writing time coming up with something.

Humor/Parody characters - Manley Nounverber, Hostagencia Damsel, & Odd Adjective

Ships - the Oriole, the Crested Grebe, the Playful Hound

A spooky forest - Whistlewood Vale
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Kiri Ellison
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, I spelled it Kerry Ellison, but she was a high-school-plus-aliens-and-power-armor rpg character, who got doubled crit and fumble chances because her luck was just like that.

To make this an actual *game,* how about if we do a short description for at least one open name, then provide at least one more? Pre/suffixes (-grad, -ton, -chester, S.S., St., etc.) variable at will.

Barr Fuji
Peb Wirlo
Randara
Aldendale
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Sorry, was 3/4s asleep when I wrote that, otherwise I would have thought to add more.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

A friend had a Filthy Rich character once who owned the starship, SS Ostentatious Display of Wealth. It was the embodiment of the name. Nowadays, I imagine that it was very similar in general appearance to Princess Amidala's chromed cruiser, only with so much more eagle. And weapons; Pat believes rather strongly in Uncle Bob's ideas about polite society.
EDIT: Some day, I will introduce my players to Robert Alexander Fett, bounty hunter.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Ships:  I've mentioned Jervis Bay in another thread.  Wayward.  Sunset and Evening Star (one ship; "and" is part of the name).  Crimson Velvet.

Combat vehicle -- could be a tank, a BattleMech, something of the sort:  Say Goodbye.  Tomorrow Knight (almost has to be a mecha).  Liberty Valance ("... the point of a gun was the only law that Liberty understood / When it came to shootin' straight and fast / He was mighty good.").  

Darktower Port.  

Harriman City (first civilian colony on the moon).  

Reises Ende (German-colonized planet).  

Heimwelt (ditto).  

Glory (U.S.-colonized planet; they gave its star the name "Patriot").  

Far Virginia (another U.S. colony).  

Malenkaya Rossiya (gee, I wonder who colonized that).  

Ile Céleste, a space station.  

An incomplete short fantasy story mentioned, just in passing, "Yrsiphelle the City in sultry, haunted Lus."  

Quote:To make this an actual *game,* how about if we do a short description for at least one open name, then provide at least one more? Pre/suffixes (-grad, -ton, -chester, S.S., St., etc.) variable at will.

I must be running on fumes myself, because I don't quite grasp the rules you're specifying here.
Edit:  Turning paragraph lists into column lists to make 'em easier to read.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Well, mentioning favored creations seems to be working okay so far, but what I meant was to be more like the Fic Titles thread, giving a bit of description to names provided with none. But, since place names especially often have bits unsuitable for people or things, usually suffixes meaning 'town,' 'street,' etc., and some things commonly have a title or descriptor (ships with 'SS' or 'The' mainly) those can be changed around to suit the description.

Arkanna could be a mage-queen, her capitol city
--

Arkannasport, or capital ship of her fledgling spelljammer spacy, the SJ Ark Anna. There's a good chance of the Arkanna Collegium of Thaumaturgical Science being found in that city, as well as a pub called Arkanna's Garter, which might even have an actual example on the wall over the bar since she does have a naughty sense of humor. Her elite officers are given a particular sort of enchanted sword that's come to be known as an Arkanna Saber, as well.

Going quite so far with it isn't neccesary every time.
--

Ah.  I don't recall ever doing theme naming in that way, cult-of-personality style.  Holy Bat-cookies!
Years (decades!) ago, I outlined a planet that struck the colonists as kind of spooky, so a fair number of the place names and animal/plant designations carried aspects of that.  Darktower Port, from my earlier post, was the only starport they admitted having.  There was a kind of ape-like creature the face of which looked just barely canine enough to justify calling that species "werewolf."  An aquatic creature they called the "nixie," a bird-analog termed "witch owl," that sort of thing.  But there were plenty of other names on the planet that weren't fantasy-related at all.
Name for a government:  Conciliar Alliance.  The joke here is that "conciliar" means "of the council," and in Russian that would be "Sovietskiy."  And Russian uses the same word, "Soyuz," for "Union" and "Alliance."  I wonder if C.J. Cherryh knew that at the time she began her Union vs. Alliance universe?
-----
Just to take this *slightly* at a tangent...
Instead of names, here we have symbols.  Logos, sigils, badges, whatever you want to call them.  I dream these sorts of things up all the time.  Some are fairly pedestrian.  Some are kinda cool.  I think these five fall into the latter category, but I'm not enormously offended if anyone disagrees.  I thought about adding the joke that if anyone dissed these, I'd just go off somewhere and quietly cry for an hour or three, but I decided no one here knows me well enough to be certain I was joking.

[Image: Logos_zpsd566a086.jpg]

Incidentally, I don't know what organizations these would be for, although I had the Quetzalcoatl legend in mind when I designed the one at top right, and the red-white-and-blue star suggests the USA (to me, at least).
-----

I like the middle and lower two, but the tic tac toe board background on the coatl and three rings of the first one make them a little too busy to my eye. I think the coatl in particular would look good rendered in colors on a black bacground - not quite as a single gradient, but if the wings start at the bottom with red and progress to the top with violet through the spectrum, the head crest maybe a bit bigger and doing likewise, the rest of the body could be assigned different colors based on military
--

brach, rank, or unit, or by caste, or region of origin, or whatever else strikes your fancy. A few stars sprinkled in the black (a constellation? or the sky around Draco, turned to the coatl's body fits it) even better.

70-75% gray instead of 50% on the bottom left would give it more pop, as well.
--