Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][GURPS Furries] Worked setting brainstorming.
[RFC][GURPS Furries] Worked setting brainstorming.
I'm thinking of trying to submit to SJGames for GURPS Furries, and I'm trying to come up with something interesting for a setting.
I'm thinking of a "discopunk AIDS Outbreak" type of setup. As an Infinite Worlds timeline, "Moreau-XX" has a POD sometime in the 1800s, when some epidemiologists think HIV/AIDS split off from a strain that only affected Chimpanzees. Due to rubber science and allowing for the setting set-up, somehow the species jump became teratogenic instead of immunosuppresive. This led to many sightings of "werewolves and such rubbish" and "false missing links" until the mid-20th century. Sort of a take on WildCards and "SCABS" from Bryan Derkson's Tales from the Blind Pig universe. So the setting has "normal" humans and "furries" that are the result of a blood-borne pathogen.
"Discopunk" refers to TL 7+1 gizmoes with a strong 1970s aesthetic, where a lot of our current gadget functionality is tied into blocky plastic boxes with tacky faux woodgrain veneer. CB culture for a rough equivalent to social networking and the internet memepool, based on 1950s TV and Movies. Perhaps strongly influenced by Bakshi's version of R Crumb's "Fritz the Cat."
Stuff like this:[Image: amv_alt1977_pocket_hi_fi_ad.png]
Since one of the things I've noticed in Furry fiction is a degree of focus on "persecution issues," and I needed a source of conflict for "native" adventures... "Furry is the New Black" may well be a sidebar.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I don't know about the rest of it, but I want one of those Pocket HiFi devices. The big bulky headphones made with thick metal and plastic, too - I detest earbuds, and the normal headphones I get keep having the dinky little wires in the cord break after 3-10 months.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Also notice that it's using the larger headphone jack... the 1/4" one iirc.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll