Niven
Pohl
Roddenberry
Smith
Stackpole
Verne
Weber
Wells

(I'm tempted to include Schroek, Hutchins, Rose, Meadows, Mui, and ... whatever the hell Megazone's actual name is, too, honestly. Not that the project this is for is as likely to see the light of day as even Flashback 1942, but meh.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

AbnettAdams (The Guide counts, right?)AndersonAsprinBanksBikowicz (the name you were looking for )CardFlintFosterFrankowskiHerbert
MitchellReynoldsRingoZahn
And now, the author names I haven't read:BesterBradburyCampbellVerneZelazny
That help?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Most of the ones I'd name are already on the list, but:-

Allston (If Stackpole qualifies, I'd name his fellow X-Wing author too...)
Duane (Yes, Young Wizards...but also Trek novels, even an X-COM one!)
Ford (as in John M., who did a couple of Star Trek novels and pretty much invented the pre-TNG Klingons. You know the 'Battlecruiser Vengeance' TV show stuff in Symphony of the Sword? That's a reference to Ford's material, pretty much presented straight.)Foster (Yes, Alan Dean Foster does a lot of tie-in stuff, but I genuinely like some of it)
Schmitz (as in James H. - one of the authors Baen's republication of classic stuff introduced me to.)
Anvil (Christopher Anvil - see above.)
Leinster (And another one.)

Pratchett (Yes, he's an SF author - he's written two pure SF novels.)
Haldeman (Forever War)
-- Acyl

You've listed two of the "Big Three" already - I'll start my list with the third.
  • Clarke (Arthur C. - "Rendezvous with Rama", "The Fountains of Paradise", the "2001" series, etc.)
  • Piper (H. Beam - "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen", the "Fuzzy" series, etc.)
  • Pournelle (Jerry - "Exiles to Glory", "Lucifer's Hammer", etc.)
  • Robinson (Spider - "Mindkiller", "Stardancer", "Melancholy Elephants", the "Callahan's" stories, etc.)
  • Atwood (Margaret - "The Handmaid's Tale", "Oryx and Crake", etc. - she prefers the term "speculative fiction" to "science fiction", but that's a distinction without a difference IMHO)
And almost anyone listed here or here that I haven't already mentioned...

ClassicDrogn Wrote:... whatever the hell Megazone's actual name is, ...
I've been reliably informed that "MegaZone" is his legal name.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Heretics and blasphemers!  Where's Norton (Andre), whom Weber and Flint both acknowledged as a giant?!
Drake (David - "Hammer's Slammers" series, just to start out with)
Cherryh (C.J. - "Union-Alliance" universe, especially Downbelow Station and Angel with the Sword)
Vance (Jack - "Planet of Adventure" series, "The Demon Princes" series, "The Cadwal Chronicles" trilogy, etc.) 
Bujold (Lois McMaster - "Miles Naismith Vorkosigan" universe)
Hemry (John, a.k.a. Jack Campbell - "Paul Sinclair" series & "Stark's War" series by his real name, "The Lost Fleet" and its follow-on series as Campbell)
Mitchell (Sandy [real name Alex Stewart] - "Ciaphas Cain" series)  Edit: Oops, missed that Bluemage mentioned a Mitchell.

Edit (still more):  Ellison (Harlan - ye gods, where do we start?)
Resnick (Mike - especially Santiago:  A Myth of the Far Future)
Panshin (Alexei - "Anthony Villiers" stories, alas, cut short)
A "Smith" is mentioned in the opening post, but is that "Doc" or Cordwainer ("The Instrumentality of Mankind")?
Palmer (David R. - Emergence)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Norton (Andre, author of many SF and Fantasy novels)Straczynski (J. Michael, creator of Babylon 5)Stasheff (Christopher, author of The Warlock of Gramarye series among others)Modesitt (L. E. jr, primarily a fantasy author but he's written several SF book as well)Stirling (S.M.)
Edit: as Inquisitive Raven pointed out I typed a name wrong.  oops.

To name some that haven't been listed...

Tubb (E.C.- Dumarest saga)
Vance (Jack-Very long and diverse list
Bulmer (Kenneth -mostly forgotten 60s early 70 author of Invader on my Back)
Smith (E.E. 'Doc" -Lensman series)
Lanier (Sterling E. -Hiero Desteen series long out of print)
Banks (Iain M. -Culture series)
Budrys (Algis )
Brunner (John -Shockwave Rider)
Leinster (Murray)

Bohnhoff (Maya Kathryn)
Reynolds (Alastair)
Hoyt (Sarah A.)
Asaro (Catherine A. -Carnelians series)
Lee (Sharon E. -Liaden series)Miller (Steve - See above)
Shepherd (Mike- Kris Longknife saga)
Currie (Evan aka Tenhawk)

Dietz (William C.)
Gerrold (David -The Flying Sorcerors with Niven)
Vinge (Vernor- Peace War series among others)
Edit...A few more:Leiber (Fritz)Saberhagen (Fred -Beserkers)Spoor (Ryk)Kooistra (Jeffery D. -An author I wish would write more)Spencer (Wen -Elfhome series)Freer, (Dave)Wentworth (K.D. - An author who died to early)
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Nowlan (Phillip Francis, creator of Buck Rogers)Raymond (Alex, creator of Flash Gordon)Gerrold (Tribbles, the Chtorr, and the Voyages of the Star Wolf. To say nothing of DS9.)Laumer (Though you may wish to save his name for a type of tank.)MoorcockPiper (H. Beam. Creator of the Fuzzies, and sadly gone too soon.)ScalziStross
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Here's a couple I forgot:

Leinster, Murray
Sucharitkul, Somtow - Not exactly one of the big names, but I quite liked Mallworld, and took a computer class with his niece once.

Naturally, the PDFOTS John Ringo is a gunship in the Macross II sense of the designation, and looks fairly similar aside from having a radar array above the bridge that resembles a wide brimmed hat.

(That's a Pretty Darn Fine Ol' Texan Ship, for the SFStory/Superguy deprived. It is preceded in that noble service by the Alamo's Revenge and the Alamo's Revenge's Revenge.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Quote:Timote wrote:Stasheff (Michael, author of The Warlock of Gramarye series among others)
Last time I looked, Stasheff's given name was Christopher.
LeGuin, Ursula K. (Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed, Lathe of Heaven).Friedman, C. S. (Coldfire Trilogy, the Madness Season)Turtledove, Harry (Worldwar series, Second Contact)

Turtledove (As in Harry Turtledove, author of the sci-fi/alt history story The Guns of the South).
Edit:  Sorry!  Didn't see Raven's post before I wrote the above.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"