Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Either madness or mad genius

Heh, especially if the SI chose Golden Sky Stories as the RPG system specifically because GSS games aren't oriented to physical combat, and figured that it would therefore mean he was, physically at least, not going to be in danger.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Drogn, that would be so cruel to the poor protagonist. I'll have to do that. Smile
Oh, and and no need to apologize for throwing in additional bunnies, I've been finding them all interesting.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

You want to talk about a cruel and unusual set of rules to DC under?  Paranoia.
I've never heard of a way to munchkin up to crazy power levels in it... and if there was such a thing, it'd almost certainly be treasonous anyway.
Still, you'd start with a laser pistol and five backup clones, so it might be interesting.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I'd say use it in Evangelion, but, well, Evangelion. It's not a genre mismatch there. XP
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

"Wait, didn't you die? How are you still alive?"

"Same way Rei is."

"Yeah, how'd she survive that? How'd you for that matter?"

"Sorry, you're not cleared for that. Asking again will be considered treason."
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.

I fear that I have made a grave mistake.

As another swarm of bees arrived and settled themselves on my skin, I hastened to explain exactly what had just happened, at least as far as I knew. "Perhaps an hour ago, I was driving home on a perfectly normal day, when I noticed a sign being put up for the Grand Opening of a new Super Market, and being a bit hungry I stopped in. It turned out I was the very first customer, so I was given a door prize as I picked up some supplies for lunch, then continued to my abode. I ate a Super Sandwich! I drank Super Soup! I washed up with Super Soap! And then, I spun the Super GLobe and flipped open the Super Travel Guide I'd selected as my fun and educational Super First Customer Prize, and stabbed a finger down with my eyes closed to see what super exotic location I would read about first! I looked down and saw that it landed on Brockton Bay... and then I was falling, and landed on top of you, even if I some how did not land with exceptional force!"

"A super sandwich."

Oh dear, that doesn't sound very encouraging. The bees are getting restless, too. "The ham was Super Delicious!" I added, "And the vegetable soup had Super Vitamins and Minerals!" This is going to hurt, isn't it? At least I'm not allergic to bee stings, but I can't help flinching in anticipation...

So, this has sort of been buzzing around my head since the original Toon/Worm Dungeon Crawl idea was floated, playing with the Mighty Mouse origin story to get an SI out of it, without some smug ROB showing up to give an unhelpful explanation and get cursed/whined at. I haven't done any Toon statistics, but Soupyman is not QUITE so uber as Mighty Mouse - his main power is Soupy Liquid Control, though in less Toony terms that translates to some pretty kickass hydrokinesis - he can affect his own body liquids to fly soupy fast, be soupy strong and soupy tough, as well as the usual external manipulations associated with it, the main limitations being a penalty to do more than one thing at a time, not affecting un-soupy liquids (ones that don't contain water, or pure water with no significant dissolved/suspended materials) and needing to concentrate on bigger effects. It's Soupy Powers, not an entity shard, so no Manton effect as such either, though because it's Toon he doesn't do lethal damage any more than he receives it - no matter how bad the mauling, it's fine after a beat, or in extreme cases a scene change or new episode. The Super Soap just makes sure he stays squeaky clean (IC justification for toony resetting including his Soupy Suit after he makes one) and you should already be able to tell what effect the Super Ham had Big Grin

No, he's not a Cauldron Cape, that's a bowl of chicken noodle with veggies, because he's Soupyman! Eat up, and away!

ETA: Leviathan arrives. "They say too many cooks spoil the pot; well you mister are one big, mean sea-cook too many!"
--

Okay, I dug out my copy of Toon Deluxe (Sadly, I don't have Tooniversal World Tour with its explicit Supertoon chapter) and am trying to figure out how to make Soupyman's Soupy Powers under the mechanics... I'm pretty much thinking Cosmos Shift with a couple points off for only working on some things, rather than being able to do anything as in RAW, plus Useable On Others at the usual rate. Aside from that, flight, Soupy Strength, and (via Cosmos Shift) general waterbending type things are straightforward enough, but how to handle being Soupy Tough is a bit less obvious... Maybe just double hit points? I suppose it could be straight up invincibility except versus spoons, bowls, crackers, or croutons, but describing/reacting to Falling Down is half the fun.

Any ideas?
--

Were it not so early, I'd grab my copy right from it's pride-of-place location on my bookshelf....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll