Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Do you have to be hep to Strike Witches to udnerstand it? It's one of those shows I keep meaning to find and watch, but never get around to.

- CD

It's an alternate universe, no knowledge of SW requiered, but knowledge of WW2 is helpfull. For example you should know who Patton and Rommel are and why it would be a bad idea to give them a wedgie. The main character is an OC WW2 pilot, with the personality of 4-chan...

The image about sums it up;
[Image: 1327625611535.jpg]
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

If it helps, it's written by the same guy who wrote A Wizard is You on THP, and while the characterization is significantly different, it's got a similar style.  The main character is very good at what he does, is constantly surrounded by havoc (although it's not always clear whether he directly causes it, catalyzes it, or it just follows him around), and he has some serious issues he deals with by being crazy awesome until he crash-lands (not literally). 

Oh SHIT. Demetrious wrote that? *Scampers off to read.*
A fanfic and a review of Postman by the writer of the book
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/bubbles/ a science fiction short story by David Brin.
This lead me to his discussion of the movie Postman and what he thought of the movie. The link below isn't a fiction link, but still a good read. http://www.davidbrin.com/...manmovie.htm  
hmelton
God Bless

I neveer saw the movie, but I remember reading a book by that name - post-apoc, a wanderer finds a USPS truck in the wilderness with an intact uniform on the driver's radiation-mummified corpse, takes the bag and letters aboard on a lark, then people see him wearing it and ask about mail from long-cut-off friends/relatives/etc., come back with letters to same and gice them to him plus supplies and trade goods as postage, ge figuees it's a good scam, why not, and does actually deliver some, a couple people want to be deputised to begin regular service locally and he runs with it and fakes up some official-looking paperwork and a ceremony, etc. and before he knows it he's catalysed a bunch of survivor settlements to form a new United States. Some kind of over-the-top nihilist-militia-psycho gang are the enemies, IIRC, and there was some really cool hippie pacifist that was actually a gengineered super-soldier or something. And a machine cult based around a supercomputer as oracle was in there too.

It was good enough that I still remember it at least, which is more than I can say for most post-apoc stories other than Mad Max.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

That's the Brin book, which allegedly inspired the movie.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

"Allegedly inspired?" That... doesn't sound good...

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Not a lot of people liked the movie.

Oddly enough. I did. Then again, I was also the only person who ever liked the coffee Roses and so could always be guaranteed a supply of chocolates whenever anyone bought them into the house.

I read some of Brin's Uplift books a while back when I was looking into new authors, and did not find them entirely to my taste. I can take them or leave them.

As for the essay, my big reaction is 'since when is the movie a somewhat faithful adaptation of Starship Troopers?' Of course, based on an artbook or something of the movie, I think the adaptation of 'Howl's Moving Castle' is probably a butchery.

I think I may have first read Howl's Moving Castle after Castle in the Air, which might explain things, as Air, IIRC, relies on things in Howl that were apparently scrapped in the adaptation. Not that the bit where Howl visits his family would have played well to the Japanese market.

Anyway, I've greatly enjoyed much of the works of Diana Wynne Jones, Joan Aiken, Rosemary Sutecliff, E.W. Hildick, Susan Cooper, and Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe books.

Since Brin specifically describes Verhoeven's mutilation of Starship Troopers as "a satire", I think we can take it as read that he knows the movie bears no more resemblance to the book than a Klingon does to a mouse.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Never having read the novel... I do see the 'Starshp Troopers' movies as a great satire.  Its an antiwar movie series at its heart. Blatantly to me.  Like beat you to death with the message level... and it completely goes over the heads of most people that watch them.  At least most of the ones I've talked to.

The book wasn't anti-military, and probably wasn't anti-war. (The case for the book being anti-war is something that could be applied to just about any book covering war. War has non-trivial costs, so don't do it for trivial reasons. It's like, oh, a car costs say $5,000. If that is a lot of money to you, don't buy it if it isn't worth it. If it isn't, well, it still might be good practice to pay attention to things like opportunity cost and ROI.)

As for the movies, just about everyone I've heard whose read and liked the book and has seen the movies hates the movies, mostly because they see the things you think most people miss, and that they don't care for them.

I quote Mr. Brin "And yet all three movies were somewhat faithful to good novels." (Postman, Contact, and Starship Troopers.) Maybe he is talking about some other novel he likes besides Starship Troopers.

I'm not entirely a purist. I saw the CGI Starship Troopers back before I'd read the novel, and really enjoyed it.

The only book that comes to mind is non-fiction. LeBlanc's Constant Battles
Postman, uplift war and another writer's site who post fanfics on his site.
I like the book and I've never seen the movie the R rating putting me off it. Also I think "Postman" is one of those books that would require a series of movies not a single 3 hour movie.

Mr. Brin's description of the Rewrite to fit it in 3 hours sounded interesting.

I did a double take on his opinion of "Starship Trooper" wondering how such a bad version could be in any way complimented after reading the books, then noticed the "Satire" in his statement. I still think Starship Trooper the movie is a bad Joke best avoided. I shouldn't have ignored the R rating even if the version I saw was censored for broadcast TV.

I have kept a copy of Mr. Brin's "Postman", but I've traded in all my "Uplift" books for other paper backs. His "Uplift" series is worth reading and I'd recommend buying used copies if you come across them.

Mr. Stasheff(Warlock Series) puts some of his fiction and also selected fanfiction on his site he also has a few FILKS listed as well.

The fiction isn't well organized, but you can find stories all across the band Such as stories that includes Time travel, secret societies, Supertanks, Espers and even "Starship Troupers" stories.

http://christopher.stasheff.com/

hmelton

While I like Jurassic Park the movie and the book... the second movie just bugged me.  Oddly the largest part was that I was far too invested in seeing the legendary moldy Twinky than the movie plot itself.  The thing that warped the first movie was that Hammond lived and was not eaten by compies... and the hunter dies in the movie from a bizarre... to paraphrase Boondocks 'an N word moment' and completely falls for the velocirapter's most basic hunting strategy... despite studying them for years for this exact scenario as his literal stated job... and in the book specifically mentioning to never, never fall for this trap to other people..  'Clever girl' indeed *facepalms*  In the book, he hides out in a pipe and picks them off when the lean it to try and snap at him.  Using their own anatomy against them.
So while I do understand the issue those guys are having I do like the Starship Troopers movies myself, as I think they are a good satire on their own.  Different time lines at best that they are from the books.  At least they didn't not put Lincoln's mummified corpse in the boat like with Sahara's movie... that was the Twinky incident all over again.
.. come to think of it there was also an animated version from the late 1980s? that had the armored suits and everything.

No worries, Necratoid.  I feel you completely on Jurassic Park.  I suppose that maybe Muldoon thought they weren't tracking him, but then that fails because of that one line he says to Elle: "...Because, we're being hunted."  So yeah.  FAIL.
Necratoid Wrote:.. come to think of it there was also an animated version from the late 1980s? that had the armored suits and everything.
There was.  More like late 90's, early 00's.  Some of the people responsible for the MiB and Godzilla animated series may have had a hand in it, because from what little I did see of it, it was pretty damn decent for Saturday morning cartoons.

I remember seeing the armor suits designs for that, and thinking that they were exactly accurate with the descriptoins in the books. Never managed to catch the show, though.

- CD
--

http://www.fanfiction.net...96825/1/Haruhi_vs_Hibiki

A new story by the author that wrote Ryouga vs the Roadrunner and Magical Girl Ranko vs Z Fighter Ryouga. A chance encounter between Haruhi and Ryouga traps him in a Stranger than Fiction type situation. With Haruhi writing the story.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

(future)batman beyond / young justice. dimension hop, whereby the old one dies. by the same guy who wrote http://www.fanfiction.net...08/1/The_Master_of_Death (dresden/potter).

http://www.fanfiction.net...The_Last_Son_of_Tomorrow

http://www.fanfiction.net...1/The_Lives_Worth_Saving

Naruto, physical time travel (IE, not "send my mind back to kill my younger self and steal his body") really nice characterization & well thought out reactions. Seven long chapters that haven't yet taken it up to the Wave Mission time frame, though they were all posted in about a month and it's now been about a month since the last the author had noted he'd be busy with exams. Maybe a sudden surge of traffic (and reviews? See my big watery puppy-dog eyes? Encourage this author, we need more goodfic!) will get him to come back too it quickly.

- CD
--

potter/ mi6 with a feel of the 'tinker tailor soldier spy' movie.

(just starting, 2 chapters)

http://bbs.stardestroyer....ewtopic.php?f=9&t=154517

This, good sirs, is the most hilarious Fate/Zero fic in existence... and considering my ego, that's saying something:

http://www.fanfiction.net..._of_Proper_Communication

"As Caster's ultimate attack commences, Tokiomi and Kariya confront each other on the field of battle. The resulting confrontation, however, is a bit... off..."
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke

SCM Writer of 2814 Wrote:This, good sirs, is the most hilarious Fate/Zero fic in existence... and considering my ego, that's saying something:

http://www.fanfiction.net..._of_Proper_Communication

"As Caster's ultimate attack commences, Tokiomi and Kariya confront each other on the field of battle. The resulting confrontation, however, is a bit... off..."
Ok, that was awesome.  One warning though:  It contains spoilers for those who have not read the novels, or seen the first ep of season two of Fate/Zero.  Other than that, though?  GOLDEN!
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

To the Stars a hard Sci-Fi PMMM story.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7406866/1/To_the_Stars

It's fantastically written, and I want more.

Imagine a future where the Cult of Hope is a significant factor in geopolitics, and where half the politicians are required to be able to pass as human without an internet connection (a surprisingly difficult feat.). The other half are AI's. This is that future, and it is glorious.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

For those of you with Spacebattle membership:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=222605
'Spark Time'; an accidental detour through L-Space results in young Agatha Clay of Beetleburg taking a one way trip to Unseen University in Anhk-Morpork.

'Empress Buffy, World Conqueror' by Greywizard, Ethan Rayne is going to really regret selling these costumes to the Slayer and her friends
http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-26689/Gr ... queror.htm