Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fic Recomendations: Hey Look there's a lot of Typewriters!

eh. in a physical confrontation with a couple of slayers and a witch, they're pretty much fighting above their weight class... even xander spends his time fighting things that are faster and stronger than a trained human, so it's believable that he can hold his own against an unarmed sg member. now if the sg crew had a chance to do some tactical planning and could use their weapons, then it's different... but in cqb, they're out-classed...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Matrix Dragon Wrote:Ugh, just once I'd like a Buffy/SG crossover where, if the ego show does lead to a fight, the SG crew don't get owned like punks.
I'm not too bothered by Buffy winning fights against the SG crew, but that is because Buffy once wargamed against an entire Initiative squad (and all of the Initiative guys were secretly hopped up on performance enhancing drugs), and easily won every single time. I'm significantly more annoyed when the SG folks wind up playing second fiddle to a bunch of teenagers for the entire story.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Duty
A slow Romantic alternate universe Avatar:The Last airbender fanfic. In this universe Zuko's father doesn't take the general's place in the Agniki challenge and Zuko wins the challenge match. Zuko's victory leads to him attending more planning sessions and gaining the reputation as caring for the warriors and is gaining their respect and loyalty over his father. Zuko's father and the other generals decide Zuko needs to be distracted from the war just as an offer of a marriage treaty arrives from the Northern Water kingdom.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3559662/1/Duty

hmelton

Quote:
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Shepherd Wrote:
Matrix Dragon Wrote:Ugh, just once I'd like a Buffy/SG crossover where, if the ego show does lead to a fight, the SG crew don't get owned like punks.
I'm not too bothered by Buffy winning fights against the SG crew, but that is because Buffy once wargamed against an entire Initiative squad (and all of the Initiative guys were secretly hopped up on performance enhancing drugs), and easily won every single time. I'm significantly more annoyed when the SG folks wind up playing second fiddle to a bunch of teenagers for the entire story.
I think I remember that one. Took them like 40 minutes to track her and she took them down in 30 seconds when they found her? Bleh, double post. 
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam

hmelton Wrote:A slow Romantic alternate universe Avatar:The Last airbender fanfic. In this universe Zuko's father doesn't take the general's place in the Agniki challenge and Zuko wins the challenge match. Zuko's victory leads to him attending more planning sessions and gaining the reputation as caring for the warriors and is gaining their respect and loyalty over his father. Zuko's father and the other generals decide Zuko needs to be distracted from the war just as an offer of a marriage treaty arrives from the Northern Water kingdom.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3559662/1/Duty

hmelton
Seconding this.  It's nicely done and I'm looking forward to an update.

Shepherd Wrote:
Yeah. Buffy beating them physically I can deal with (altho her-vs-Teal'c ought to be more even).
It's stories where the Scoobs take the moral high ground and arrogantly treat SG-1 like a bunch of kids playing with dynamite because the Initiative has proven to them that nothing military can ever be trusted with anything supernatural-related, and refusing to believe that they could possibly be wrong. That kind of condescending idiocy really gets me. I'd love to see a story where the Scoobs pull that kind of shit, and then have it bite them in the ass when -they- aren't able to deal with the goa'uld anywhere near as well as the SGC, and some no-name SG team (SG-1 being far away and busy with something more important, like stealing Apophis' grocery list) pulls them out of the fire.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

http://pishoque.net/brian/fanfic/whiteday/
White Day, a Haruhi Suzumiya oneshot by Brian Randall.

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

I find BTVS morally suspect because somehow, keeping the populace ignorance of danger is safer than letting them know basic safety protocols such as not inviting people in.

kentmagus Wrote:I find BTVS morally suspect because somehow, keeping the populace ignorance of danger is safer than letting them know basic safety protocols such as not inviting people in.
Actually, very little effort is made during the series to seriously cover up the supernatural. There are a few instances of one of the main characters offering up an offhand mundane explanation for the monster of the week, but otherwise it seems to be the public at large keeping themselves in the dark. Heck, between every woman in town falling obsessively in love with Xander and the Sunnydale PTA engaging in a public witch burning, only willful ignorance on the part of the public could explain things.
Also, both Buffy and Kate Lockley (from Angel: the Series) did try to get the word out about the supernatural. Buffy wound up spending several weeks drugged senseless in a mental institution while Kate was fired from the LAPD.

kentmagus Wrote:I find BTVS morally suspect because somehow, keeping the populace ignorance of danger is safer than letting them know basic safety protocols such as not inviting people in.

I find BTVS mathematically suspect due to vampire population dynamics. before adding in all the other stuff.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7437961/1/ Harry_Potter_and_the_Arcana

harry is found, briefly, by a distant cousin and is informed that he is the last descendent of pythia... a true seer. wacky hijinks ensue.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Most fanfics I read nowadays imply that most of Sunnydale -does- know and follow basic anti-vamp precautions... they're just in denial about why.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

The thing you have to remember about SG1 and Buffy is that crossing the two leads to political jibberish.
SG1 is about a military lead exploration wandering the galaxy with embedded units of civilians and scienstists.  Their enemies are alien dictators with GOD complexes and an enslavement fetish... and a political system that runs off this.  Corrupt business intrests and their governmental flunkies and a bizzarrely magical girl series like cluster of evil, badly, sealed in a can and the evil crap that the ancient societies never actually dealt with fully.  The SGC is also so profitable, in terms of R&D and such that they have entire arcs about dealing with corrupt people trying to turn it into their private piggy bank.
In BtVS, the cast is a bunch community activists teenages and their adult supervision.  Granted their mainly exterminators... and their political activities include nuking their school to avenge the rather unliked principle, but its largely about civilians doing productive things and their local government is a major part of the issue.  Their enemies include, their running unopposed government, the minority elements that government is unilaterally decided are going to be imported, and the trust fund babies that commanded their adult supervision at one point.
Okay, an odd way to phrase it.  I think the main reason that SG1 gets smacked around is that BtVS tends to attract writers that are more left leaning politically.  SG1 is a more right leaning show.  This means you get lots of Buffy writers that seem to include cameos from SG1 for the sole reason 'proving them in the corrupt military wrong' by having southern California community activists smack them around.  I've noticed the same pieces often make me wonder exactly how many 'gay rights parades' Willow organized that week.
In short, the reason SG1 gets slapped around in so many fics is writers ineffectively doing political rants by being 'clever'.  I find I can't get through most of those far enough to get to the mindless 'sg1' bashing anyway.

It also doesn't help that Buffy's group and SG-1 are roughly parallel in makeup, but Buffy's group has more 'extra abilities' (albeit also worse internal dynamics), so if it comes down to which group is going to suffer from an Out of Context problem SG-1 is the easy choice.

That said all the better Buffy/SGC crosses I've seen have both sides dealing well with each other.

Seriously, I can hardly see Col. Jack O'neal not vibing with Buffy - the two will start a snark-off to end all snark-offs and the man may very well wind up adopting her in all but name. In time, of course.

BA, I submit for your entertainment Memet's "Happy Pills" trilogy.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2230999/1/Tall_Tale

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2234754/1/Happy_Pills

http://www.fanfiction.net...ouve_Got_to_Have_Friends
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

...I've only read the first one...but I'm having a hard time...breathing between giggles...
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84

Hey, I'm back briefly to, ah, recommend a fic:

Title: Crisis of Infinite Batmans

Category: Justice League

Character(s): Batman

Words: 934

Genre(s): Humor/Parody

Rating: Rated: K

Summary: In Which The Bad Guys Are So Screwed. There is a

dimensional crisis brewing and only Batman can stop it. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And Batman. And...

you get the

idea. CRACK!

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7934546/1/
--------------------------------------
I am the LORD OF THE CRACK!
Check out said crack:
Takamachi Nanoha of 2814- Green Lantern Nanoha. To START! Now with a TvTropes page!
FATE/Holy Grail War of 2814- The Fifth Holy Grail War with Magical Girl Prisma Illya, in the DCAU, from the above story.
Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly- the world's first Dresden Files/TvTropes Crossover.
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7921263/1/Sheen

HP/Temeraire - I know zilcho abou the second series, but the story is interesting enough to read in its own right. Sometime shortly after Voldishorts ate his own AK, Harry finds that the magical backlash has drained his own power, and the ambient magic of the earth is slowly and painfully killing him. Somehow, Luna has also managed to become a dragon animagus who is huge even for an Antipodean Opaleye, and riding Harry's current good publicity they get the Department of Mysteries to contruct a one-shot dimensional portal to take them away to a world with dragons but without magic, so Harry can survive and Luna can be away from the magical society that left her bad enough memories that she never returns to human form, and would likely as not want to stick her in a preserve if they took official notice of her. The first chapter is the last that HP-verse is likley to appear.

By esama, so slash is an everpresent possibility, but honestly this doesn't seem like a story where romance will feature heavily, and it's only projected for four or five parts.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

The Temeraire series is the Napoleonic Wars with dragons. Sounds strange, I know, but it's a pretty good series. It's not all fighting the French, they travel around to places like Africa, China, and Australia.

For some unknown reason, a 20yr old Sakura goes back in time into her 12yr old body, and nearly goes insane with the strain of accepting it...

One of the more logical treatments of a Naruto Peggy-Sue that I've read: Rainy Days Updated: 03-23-12

www.fanfiction.net/s/6254986/1/The_Anag ... iya_Kurumi
The Anagram of Suzumiya Kurumi, a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya fic that also happens to be the best time travel story I've ever read.

I have been archive binging the Strike Witches Quest thread and it's glorious. Beware though that it originated on 4chan and so it has a lot of stupid posts in between story posts, and parts of it are NSFW.

It's archived here; http://suptg.thisisnotatr...ml?tags=strike%20witches
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Do you have to be hep to Strike Witches to udnerstand it? It's one of those shows I keep meaning to find and watch, but never get around to.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows