Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations meet Abbott and Costello
RE:
(01-17-2016, 09:12 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: So you know all those Naruto fics where the civilian council has it in for him, drunken crowds chase and beat him daily and twice on birthdays, everyone except (designated pairing) is an idiotic asshole, Hinata stammers a couple times and then faints if he so much as looks at her (and never anything more unless she's the designated pairing, and still plenty of it at first) and yet somehow everything follows the stations of canon except (designated pairing?)

Forget them.

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/8405394/1/
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8405394/1/

Naruto Way of the Shining Hand is open and blatant Naruto/Hinata, yes, but handled in a generally realistic way for a couple of kids (with nary a faint to be seen) the rest of Konoha and presumably the world is both intelligent and competent, and while you might hear the canon train whistling far away sometimes if the wind is just right, you can't even see the tracks from here. It's also written with a decent degree of technical competence, even if the first chapter or two might be a bit forced as the author set up the premise. The only thing I can complain about is that Naruto's uneducated-brat speech is distinctly American-style, but that probably matches how it was broadcast as a dub ("Believe it!" is notably absent, however) and that while it got a new chapter a week or so ago, it appears to update quite slowly given that was only the eighth since August 2012 IIRC.

In short, I cannot recommend it strongly enough, among Naruto fanfiction, and it stacks up pretty well overall as well.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I just reread this thing.  It's great stuff, but the author hasn't updated in over two and a half years.  Might want to consider throwing this one on the dead-fic wishlist pile.
RE: Fanfic Recommendations meet Abbott and Costello
There've been a spate of Kantai Collection SIs of late on SB/SV. I think this one is the best of them.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...ed.661305/

A Past, But No Future: Our SI arrives in the form of USS Salt Lake City, and doesn't want to go to war. She just wants to have a normal life. Of course, that isn't exactly likely to happen....

And in the sequel Chrysanthemum, everyone's favorite Battleship Yamato sets out in search of a purpose in life that does not require her to expend the naval base's entire fuel stocks for a single sortie. And she finds it.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...ry.671563/
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
[Deleted and moved to Updates.]
The Odin of Earth-616 once stripped Thor of his powers and gave him a shell personality. What if his Earth-199999 counterpart had initially done the same for Hela, turning her into a different Cate Blanchett character from a different franchise, instead of trapping her in a pocket dimension right away?

athingofvikings, PrimedOverlord, and/or ShipMistress Wrote:Hiccup never thought of himself as a religious man, yet he had respect for the gods. Days after having defeated his biggest foe, his world is turned upside down when he learns the truth about his identity. And when faced with an even deadlier threat, he has only one choice to save those he loves: To embrace his Asgardian heritage.

Until the authors buffer up enough chapters to start hitting publish, all we have for Resurrection is a prologue, but quite a prologue it is if you ask me:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/157167...s/36533466
Oh, very cool. I so want to read this when it's ready.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Artsome's Clockwork and a Teacup is a SI-as-Sakura Naruto fic which starts out with many of the standard plot points Dreaming of Sunshine popularized, including the chakra sensing from a live lived without, and only slowly pulls away from the stations of canon, though by the end of the mission to Wave it's pretty well divergent. Currently it's in the middle of the Sand/Sound invasion, but handled from an angle I've never seen done before.

Technical quality is mostly decent, though I do recommend just skipping the one scene labeled as "unknown male POV" as it's the typical shadowy-character-who-doesn't-know-his-own-name-plotting-smug-evil shtick. Currently ~220,000 words, but apparently on a fairly slow update cycle since it started in 2012 and Ch33 just arrived in July.
--
‎noli esse culus
A Single Shadow A Legend of Zelda AU

"The situation proved easily explained to the redheaded peasant. The only difficulty was in convincing her that an outside force had caused Link's current distress, and not some experiment of Zelda's, as the ranch girl had apparently heard stories from Link. Making a mental note to have words with Link once the boy was usable again, Zelda argued quite logically that she wouldn't bother to make up a story about incompetent assassins if it was a lab accident, as she certainly didn't care what Link's lover thought of her. The girl found this a compelling argument and ceased bothering Zelda with her ridiculous accusations -or perhaps was too revolted by Zelda's attitude to pursue further conversation. Either or."
Have You Heard

Have you heard that FN-2187 was a Stormtrooper? 

The First Order wants to make certain that no other trooper follows in Finn's steps. It backfires on them and he starts a revolution. Notable for being a story about fascism, propaganda, freedom, the meaning of family and how to actually save the universe. Contains LGBT themes and poly relationships.
Ship of Theseus

Rebecca chambers was entirely unprepared to be a member of STARS. She was entirely unprepared to be trapped in a horrific nightmare of undead mutants. She was unprepared to be assimilated by a swarm of cannibal leeches.
https://archiveofourown.org/series/1133597
Azzandra, author of 'It Takes A Village (or Sometimes an Army)', has a new Girl Genius AU series called 'The Crimson Cloak', where Agatha is a mysterious costumed adventurer. Three chapters so far.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Hero Class Civil Warfare

Hero's lead by Bakugo.
Villians lead by Midoriya.
Seven days prep time.
Three days for Izuku Midoriya to show why they should be glad he's not a real villain.

I haven't come across many interesting My Hero Academia fics but this is very good, juggling a large cast as UA puts their students through a new and arduous exercise... and Izuku Midoriya stretches its rules as far as he can.
The overall story told in The Arithmancer and Lady Archimedes now has a third part: Annals of Arithmancy. Already at five chapters!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Fans of Hazredous Interruptions may wish to check out Revenant.

Ruby Rose disappeared from Remnant at a young age, and (somehow) ended up on Midchilda, raised as an orphan by the Saint Church... and now, a Belkan Knight, is the last survivor of her ship when it crashes on... Remnant. Needless to say, canon is about to get Befriended.

(MGLN/RWBY, natch)
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
There May Be Some Collateral Damage

Bleach/Harry Potter Comedy

Someone decides to assign Ichigo to protect the Boy Who Lived.

Ichigo resolves the situation with his usual level of care, subtlety and precision.
I Can't Be a Magical Girl!! You, a Magical Girl, Say

A Boku No Hero Academia AU where All Might is just a hair too late to save Izuku from the Sludge Villain. What follows is identified by the authorities as a Magical Girl Event*. Izuku's advisor is kind enough to refer to him as a magician instead. The kid's got enough to deal with as it is, without gender identity issues**.

* Something they haven't had to deal with since 1994.
** Izuku's mission is to save the world. His advisor, Handyman, is trying to save Izuku,
Might want to slap your link there Drak, it's being hilariously weird.
Link for the above, not vetted for quality by me:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/116547...s/26221785
New Terrawatt?
New Terawatt. And it's been a while since I've seen something new from Ellen Brand, so that's nice too.
https://www.tthfanfic.org/story.php?no=32861
-Now available with copious trivia!
Updated the link, thank you.
Ozzallos has a new fic up on ff.net -- a DC comics/Ranma crossover called Weapon of Choice. I haven't read it yet, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed in an Ozzallos fic, except maybe for the spelling and word choice errors. (Stop, magic chicken! <grin>)
-- Bob

Kris Overstreet has completed (except for epilogues) a very well done My Little Pony/the Martian crossover.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/396744/the-maretian

"The last man on Mars sat in his habitat, all alone, and typed.
So that’s the situation. I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I’m dead. I’m in a Hab designed to last thirty-one days.
There was a knock at the door."
Fuck it, I'm doing it live!

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-52274173

or

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...ura.51434/

Because if I don't write and publish something I'm gonna go insane. This lasts until I run out of steam.
I would like to recommend a relatively short recent Ranma 1/2 story by n1ght3lf
All The World's A Stage

It's a many years later Ranma/Nabiki (Akane was killed by another fiancee.)
Just stumbled across this one this morning and read all there currently is of it on and off through the day:

Perfect Fit by vidicon, over on Twisting the Hellmouth. Buffy gets dragged through a portal to a world very much like medieval Europe, except it runs on fairy tales -- Grimm and Anderson, though, not Disney. And one by one familiar faces appear, starting with the fairy godmother assigned to her when she arrives to take the place of Eleanor de Forbicheaud, a young noblewoman much abused by her evil stepmother and two stepsisters (and who, in turn, is sent to Buffy's Earth).

Sixteen chapters exist so far, all written since July. Really worth the read.
-- Bob

(11-13-2018, 12:20 PM)Kilroy Wrote: (Akane was killed by another fiancee.)

You mean crazed stalker that should have damn well been locked up. (I love seeing stories that remind us that Kodachi is a fucking monster, right up there with Happosai)