Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RealityCheck No Longer at FiMfiction!?
RealityCheck No Longer at FiMfiction!?
For some reason, RealityCheck has moved everything out of FiMfiction.net - something about harassment of all things!  His profile is still there with only one blog post, and nothing else.
FiMfiction page: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/RealityCheck

RC's new AO3 page: http://archiveofourown.org/users/RHJunior

... Its generally seen as a bad thing when your Reality Check is bounced.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Meh. I'd gotten to where I unfollowed all the stories by him... he just gets so... petty about things and just HAS to ignore what he's already done in a story to throw a "take that" at the bit of canon he doesn't like.

He's almost as bad as Chatoyance, just on the opposite prong of the horseshoe.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

*Goes and Googles.* Wait, is that the guy that does Quentyn Quinn, Space Ranger? Or it a case of same name syndrome?

Somehow I can tolerate him, probably due to skipping over the preachy bits. I did see something on SB along the lines of: RC got pissed off at fimfic moderati for bringing the banhammer down on one of his MSTing/rants hence the taking his ball and going home. There has been an update to The Great Alicorn Hunt since then and not much else.

Like some other "uneven" authors out there, he's great when he's actually focused on telling the story, not so much when he detours off into making a social or political point. And this comes from someone on the right-wing libertarian side of things that agrees with most of his points.

His behavior in the comments sections is worse, as he seems to be incapable of politely disagreeing with anyone on anything, and anyone who tries to raise an argument or criticism is categorized as some combination of evil and stupid.

I am surprised at his choice of AO3 as his new repository, considering how slash-heavy the works over there are and how much he despises that sort of thing.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
*Goes and Googles.* Wait, is that the guy that does Quentyn Quinn, Space Ranger? Or it a case of same name syndrome?
Yes, that's him.
A rundown of recent drama over at FimFiction that may have prompted this:

Someone wrote a story about Twilight having suspicions that Fluttershy is actually a changeling.

RC thought that the logic in the WAFFy resolution of that story was ridiculous, going on self destructive, with overtones of what he sees as mismanagement of things like the "war on terror" in real life.  He wrote his own version as a rebuttal.  Site moderators rejected the story on grounds of plagiarism relative to the first story.

Then writing stories like this turned into a fad for a while, and the other stories got approved, which seems hypocritical.

However, it remains an issue that RC, despite talents as a writer and cartoonist, is incredibly abrasive to interact with and was never into the "love and tolerate" aspects of Bronydom.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.

The stories that I follow from RC have been The Great Alicorn Hunt, Alicornundrum, Nyx's Family, and The Audience and the worst I ever saw it getting into political stuff was Alicornundrum and The Audience - I think he handled it pretty well, especially the stuff about lifestyle choices in The Audience.
EDIT: Oh and... well, there was also the commentary about the Cutey Marks that the CMC got, but I think a lot of other Bronies feel the same way about it.  I know I do - the canonical ones feel WAY too generic, including the three being a variation on the same theme.  But I did kinda draw the line with his rant about Diamond Tiara's Special Talent - granted, the producers could have done better with how they went about the episode, but being a highly effective manager is something many workplaces wish for in their supervisors.

My biggest beef with him in the Alicorn Hunt was precisely that. He could have realized that his story was started before Season Five even started and he could completely ignore the cutie marks for that story.

There was absolutely NO reason for him to throw in a take-that chapter that completely derailed his story's plot. I can accept he didn't like the CMC's Cutie Marks. No skin off my nose. But shoddy writing just to step up on his soapbox in an otherwise fine story was very irritating.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll