Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goldfish Warnings
Goldfish Warnings
If I'd an account at SB/SV I'd ask there, but what is a piece of music which everyone on Earth has heard and recognises, that means friendly on the field/unfriendlies prepare for a paddling. As stuck in my mind is a scene over Midchilda involving a dimension jumper from Earth flying a unknown model of Variable Fighter, Jail's unleashed the Drones and Riot Force is on the scene.

Will I ever write the scene further? Well, I'd need to watch the source material and find the cause of why I'm having trouble producing anything creative.

I'm not 100% certain I properly understood what you're asking for, but one of the first things that popped into my head was Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.  Of course, for me to think of it that readily means it'd probably be a cliché. 
The William Tell Overture?  Mighty Mouse's "Here I come to save the day"?  The "Super Chicken" theme?  OK, now I'm just being silly....

-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Kinda depends on the genre, I mean Ride of the Valkyries tells me here comes the Calvary as does the William Tell Overture. I am trying to think of some, but am unfortunately drawing a blank, songs for the enemy to think "I done screwed up" plenty of those, but not so much the heroics

Would any of these work?

EDIT: Harvesting from that list:
  • 1812 Overture (specifically the final part, starting at 15:35): Explosions, bombing runs, cannon fire. (The original symphony called for cannons.) Destroying the oppressive Government. If used, the explosions will almost always go off in time with the music. Also used in TV spots for family movies, often with slapstick and/or Stuff Blowing Up timed to the music.

• Carmina Burana (Orff): Fortuna, Imperatrix Mundi (O Fortuna): High drama, movie trailers, video game final bosses, demons being summoned, cavalry charges, ...
  • Lohengrin (Richard Wagner): Prelude to Act III: Flight, air power, squadrons of bombers

• "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walküre (Wagner): ..., bombs, speed, violence, helicopters (ever since Apocalypse Now), more bombs, wabbit hunting; ....

• William Tell Overture: Finale (Rossini): Galloping, the cavalry, The Lone Ranger clones, ...
  • Theme from How the West Was Won: ..., Big Damn Heroes moments, ...
  • 633 Squadron (Theme): World War II aircraft, bombing runs in particular. For the less picky, any piston-prop closed-cockpit plane in flight.

• Another One Bites the Dust (Queen): Another one bites the dust. ...
  • Bad To The Bone (George Thorogood and the Destroyers): The arrival or entrance of the Badass, particularly a Badass Biker. Distressingly common even in live action.

• Battle Without Honor or Humanity (Tomoyasu Hotei): The arrival of an extreme Badass, and the fight scene resulting thereof.

• The Good the Bad And The Ugly (Main Theme): Old West gunfight, or parody thereof; showdown or confrontation of any kind

Mind you, I'd be a smartass and go with the last song listed on that page. Nanoha and Hayate would recognize it, but nobody else would.

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

DHBirr, something like:

Which on thinking more of, does Midchilda even use radio in order to do a all-band music blast? It's probably going to be a a close range PA only thing if they don't. Then again if Macross exists as a show in that universe, I'd expect Nanoha & Hayate would also recognise the VF, if a VF-1 is used.

Quote:robkelk wrote:
  • Carmina Burana (Orff): Fortuna, Imperatrix Mundi (O Fortuna): High drama, movie trailers, video game final bosses, demons being summoned, cavalry charges, ...
Not to mention Australian Beer.
Oh, and mention of the theme from How the West Was Won reminded me of The Magnificent Seven.  
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I'm partial to E Nomine's Das Omen (Im Kreis Des Bösen) myself, though it doesn't really fit the "commonly/universally known" criterion. I rather doubt you'd find anything that actually would be universally recognized, though, even without counting extraterrestrial civilizations in the audience.

The actual lyrics are pretty much about joining the Dark Side, if that matters, but it's a thumper of a menacing song. If you want more of a general "I'm bad and here to kick your ass," type thing, how about Motörhead's Killed by Death? "I ain't gonna be easy, easy. The only time I'll be easy is when I've been... killed by death!"

(Rest easy, Lemmy, and here's to a relaxing haunt since that's what I've heard you wanted.)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

"Bring the Noise" - Public Enemy and Anthrax
"Battle Without Honor or Humanity" - Tomoyaso Hotei
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

is the definitive "here comes the good guy" theme [Image: banana-dance.gif]
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

I think it would be impossible to find something that everyone recognizes.  The best you might get is a Western piece you can be pretty sure most people have heard.  That said, here are a few of my suggestions, filtered more for the "war" aspect than the "widely recognized" one.
"Painkiller" by Judas Priest
"Thunderstruck" by AC/DC
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", also by AC/DC
"No More Mister Nice Guy", Alice Cooper
"Invader Zim Theme (Obey The Fist remix) by Bass Kittenshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUMQdMTj94?vq=highres
"Winterborn" by CruxShadows
"Indestructible" by Disturbed
"Call to Arms" and "Warriors of the World United" by Manowar
"Land of Confusion" by Genesis
"Bad for Good" by Jim Steinman
And of course I can't leave out
"Lightning's Hand" by Kansas.
Just to name a few.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

when the US first arrived in the middle east for OPERATION: DESERT SHIELD, the first song played on armed forces radio was "Rock the Casbah"...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.

Universal recognition is fairly unlikely.
You might want to consider the main theme from Back to the Future though. It sounds very triumphant and upbeat.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Indiana Jones theme as well.

Something to consider: Nanoha is a Japanese citizen.

Ergo, she has experienced at least some American pop-culture bleed over.

Fate may have experienced some as well.

She could always go with super goldfish,

or the Pirates Gather song from Moretsu Space Pirates....

Raise a Little Hell from Trooper.
--------------------------------
Je ne suis pas une Intelligence Artificielle Turing. Je suis Charlie.

Black Aeronaut Wrote:Something to consider: Nanoha is a Japanese citizen.

Ergo, she has experienced at least some American pop-culture bleed over.

Then there's the Japanese pop-culture bleed over.....

Though using it would get Nanoha instantly looking for a flying battleship that surpasses her in firepower.

Not sure if I want to use "Thunderstruck" for to me it's starting to get linked with Mighty 'Mo getting woken up to bring some 16" rain down range, thanks to various Kancolle threads. Different style cover, say bluegrass...maybe~.

Ya mean this?

''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Close, I've got one in my collection with less spoons and more fiddle/violin playing. The fun of music hunting, I'm still trying to track down a pipe organ version of 'Like a Prayer' both for the adding to the collection and the potential inspiration of it.

Well, it sounds like you've more or less settled on something, but I have one more old favorite - Manowar's Touch the Sky

(lyrics in the notes on the youtube page)
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Nah, I'm thinking of using bluegrass Thunderstruck for a SWAT interrupt on the Sailor Scouts, or a possible Kancolle scene if I think of something. Probably a rule expansion from one of the lists.

I just did a few google searches...and I'm horrified to find that the most universally recognized song outside the US appears to be

...Probably not what you're looking for, though.

Then I went back to check on popular culture in general, and it seems that it's pretty much...

Note that I was specifically searching for American pop culture around the world...and that was in the top 10, at least twice, for pretty much every country I checked. Oh, the irony.
"Not this again!" Minerva said. "Albus, it was You-Know-Who, not you, who marked Harry as his equal. There is no possible way that the prophecy could be talking about you!" - Harry Potter and the Method of Rationality, Chapter 84

Well, Harry Potter slash fanfiction is the category with the most fics, so I suppose it does fit.
--

LOL to the Backstreet Boys song, and the Harry Potter trailer music/theme is in the top 10 most recognised songs...was anything from Doctor Who on those lists? Besides the theme song of cause.

I'm partial to the "Rock and Roll Part II" parody about Doctor Who. I encountered it as a form of "Weird Al Effect" where a student teacher did an arrangement of "Doctor Who" for our Marching Band to play as a "post play time-out" snippet during grid-iron season. It was basically an instrumental of the Glitter song, since we didn't have a theremin, and the flutes never got the Doctor Who theme loud enough for him...

''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll