Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you see the hybrid rainbow?
Can you see the hybrid rainbow?
More to the point, how common is it for these five symbols to show up correctly?
¤ ? P ? ?
From left to right, they should be a circle with four ears, a sort of lazy S with a zigzag coming off the top loop, a cursive p, a semicircle with two legs, and a circle with a triangle inside. They're all standard unicode items, but I'm not sure how common actually having them in an installed font is since I specifically included them in the custom font I use for everything.

I'm trying to decide whether to use them as currency symbols for (form left to right) Galactics, Stellars, Planetaries, Bel, and Ding, or just stick with G, S, p, B, & d for a space opera-ish thing.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

The symbol you intend to use for ding is too small to distinguish, but otherwise it all shows up for me.

I agree with Hazard -- you might want to embiggen the font size on them when you use them. And likewise, they're all visible to me.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Likewise, and likewise ... and the box I'm using right now runs XP. (The Win7 box is busy at the moment.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hm, might just find something else to use for Dyn, or just fractional Bel. Still, that's helpful, so thanks everyone.

To give slightly more background, the first three are, obviously enough, units of standard currency, while Bel and Dyn (yes, renamed) are units of energy transfer that also form a sort of currency/commodity, as a large minority of known intelligent species don't generate it naturally and most of the tech base for interstellar travel needs it to function - it's the literal space magic to allow for FTL and force fields/gravity generators/inertia control/Heisenberg compensators/energy blasters/etc. Generators are also possible, but wearing a belt that stores what isn't naturally needed and selling the cells when they fill up is widely accepted among most of the species who do produce it and makes for a nice source of pocket credits for space coffee and nebula donuts.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles

Also a good reason to rob/abduct members of such species for money/farming.

Quote:ClassicDrogn wrote:
More to the point, how common is it for these five symbols to show up correctly?
¤ ? P ? ?
From left to right, they should be a circle with four ears, a sort of lazy S with a zigzag coming off the top loop, a cursive p, a semicircle with two legs, and a circle with a triangle inside. They're all standard unicode items, but I'm not sure how common actually having them in an installed font is since I specifically included them in the custom font I use for everything.

I'm trying to decide whether to use them as currency symbols for (form left to right) Galactics, Stellars, Planetaries, Bel, and Ding, or just stick with G, S, p, B, & d for a space opera-ish thing.
If it helps, you can always adjust the Font size. If you want to make things weird on a Detail point you could also specify that the actual Hard currencies are numbered in different Bases (other than base 10).
 ¤ = Galactics = G (had to use size 6 to make it fit) ? = Stellars = S (size 5) P = Planetary = p (size 5) ? = Bel = B (size 5) ? = Ding = D (size 5)

Well, my star charts are a mix of base seven polar coordinates and balanced ternary altitude, so I think that's covered.
--