Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Find A Notebook...
You Find A Notebook...
Inspired by a thread on another forum.
You find a notebook on the ground one day. It has instructions written in English on the front.
What do you do?
---------------
Epsilon
Re: You Find A Notebook...
Think very carefully. Read everything written in it.
Then burn it.

===============================================
"Nyan-nyan nyan-nyan nihaou nyan!"
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Re: You Find A Notebook...
Give it to Blade, because I know he's always wanted one...
-Rob Kelk
"I heard there was a trial run of soylent blue, but they had to cease production when the George Carlin ran out..."
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re:You Find a Notebook
Hmm.. an instrument of being able to kill anyone with face and name.
Keep it as a hidden ace. Use it to remind yourself that you could kill the guy who cut you off in a fit of road rage. Isn't he lucky that you're so restrained?
If one must use the book, kill the guy in such a way that his family covers it up. For example. have a fifty-year old married bank president die in the bathub with his barely legal mistress

"Evil tends to triumph over good...unless good is very, very sneaky."-Anonymous-
Re: Re:You Find a Notebook
My first instinct would be to dismiss it as a hoax, as I hold firmly to a naturalist/materialist philosophical worldview, and thus doubt strongly any purported supernatural phenomenon, as such an object would be.
Should I somehow find it authentic (as testing it would be seriously unethical), I would try to do with it the same thing I'd do with any supernatural artifact or being, should it find its way into my posession: heavy testing to figure out how it does what it does, the rules of the supernatural and how to manipulate it, and otherwise attempt to probe the Secrets of the Universe. (You can tell I'm a physicist, right?)
--The Twisted One"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms."
--Voltaire
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
I work in tech support.
You really dont want me to find one, you really dont.
Revenge of the IT Guy!
Were I to find such a thing, it would probably go unused in the bottom of some chest or something. I'm not one to wish death on another.[Image: smalldarksideoc5.png]
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
-Analects Book V, Chaper XXVI
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
See, it really depends on whether I'd read Death Note or not.
If I had, I'd at least keep it (without using it) until the shinigami showed up, just to see how they'd react to someone who got a notebook and didn't use it...
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Re:You Find a Notebook
I may write something like, Osama bin Laden, shot in chest by American, Pakistani or Afghani soldier, a week from now, but on the whole, it's a scary power to have. I'd probably keep it, but it's definite bottom of paperwork drawer stuff. (People get curious if they find notebooks in your sock drawer.)

It goes in the fire. That's way to much power for anyone to have, and having it just sit around is too much temptation. Sure, it starts with offing a
terrorist mastermind or two, but then you find yourself killing the president of your country, cause you voted for the other guy, and the next thing you know
you've just had Jerry Springer kill himself in a fight against his secret love child with his mothers sisters aunts hairdresser (who was dating his
roomate).
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 

knowing me I'd experiment by doing such stuff as writing 'hey you' in there.. Which probably would be a spectacularly bad idea but that has never
stopped me before.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I would see it as someone up there telling me I got a very important job to do (that is, dealing with the enemies of humanity), which I would actually find
rather unnerving to be quite honest. It's one thing to go out and kill a man. It's another to do so using a tool that God (or whatever similar figure)
has provided you.
Right! Who is this really?
Quote: You find a notebook on the ground one day. It has instructions written in English on the
front.

What do you do?
"Riiiiiight! Am I on candid camera?"

I'd think it was probably a practical joke. Maybe I'd throw it away. Maybe I'd keep it as a souvenir.

If I found out it was the real thing, I'd most likely destroy it.

However, while it's been established that an impossible cause of death can't be used, what about a ridiculous or improbable one. I wouldn't do it,
mind you, but it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if you put down "FALLING RATS" or "FALCON PUNCH" as a cause of death.

EDIT: I AM ERROR

EDIT the second: Or "blogging accident". Two great tastes that go great together!

Every time I try to imagine myself with such a thing and doing anything other than disbelieving it, or destroying it, I find my hypothetical self turning into
another Kira. One who thinks that he knows where Kira mucked it up and how to do it without getting caught. And that kind of arrogance is a trap that I am not
willing to stick my neck into. Even if by doing so I -could- rid the world of a lot of people that it would be better off without.

ETA: Besides, I want Bleach-style Shinigami, not psycho space wombats.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.