Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Oregon calls RIAA's bluff
University of Oregon calls RIAA's bluff
NYTimes: In the Fight Over Piracy, a Rare Stand for Privacy
Quote:
... The surprise was not that 20-year-olds listen to Sting. It was that the university fought back.
Represented by the states attorney general, Hardy Myers, the university filed a blistering motion to quash the subpoena, accusing the industry of misleading the judge, violating student privacy laws and engaging in questionable investigative practices. ...
What I find most impressive is that the University of Oregon got their state's Attorney General to file the motion. It just might go through...
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: University of Oregon calls RIAA's bluff
I saw that article -- I loved the description of the RIAA's response as "apopleptic", like they couldn't believe someone with significant clout would actually stand up to them. Maybe like real apoplexy, the RIAA will burst a figurative blood vein in its collective brain and keel over...

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....