• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This has to be a record ...
This has to be a record ...
3 hours to travel 35 miles by car...
I hate SoCal freeways.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: This has to be a record ...
I didn't know you got caught in last weekend's snowstorm too...
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Thanksgiving '06 - Seattle, 6 hrs to make 26 miles.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
2 hours to make 2km?--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
A series of ice storms hit Fort Hood, Texas in December '96. It was bad even by Michigan standards. Add in a lot of drivers trying to get home who were used to driving on roads completely clear of ice/snow/slush.... I remember it taking somewhere between fifteen minutes and half an hour to creep up the ramp of an overpass -- and we all had to deliberately run our cars onto the shoulder, because the road itself was too slick for our tires to take the slope. That night -- and the next again -- the storms sealed my car doors under a quarter-inch layer of ice.
I'll bet there's a really hair-raising story behind that 2 km in 2 hours, too.-----
Gentlemen, it has long been my conviction that all citizens should provide services for which their talents best suit them in support of those who have been called to duty. In the case of politicians such as yourselves, that would be target practice.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Yesterday I was coming home by bus. The bus route I take goes straight through downtown since my current home and my current office are on opposite sides of the city. The city has special "bus only" freeways but these vanish and become part of the normal street system once you hit downtown.
I left work at 5 o'clock. At five-fifteen we hit downdown. At five-thirty we had moved exactly one bus length. I asked the driver to let me off and then walked up the main drag of downtown. There was literally end to end buses there. It was like some strange disconnected train. They were moving perhaps once every five minutes in about two or three meter increments. I walked the ten/twelve blocks to cross the downtown area and boarded the next bus to get me home. Once we were back on the transitway the trip was ten minute to my place.
Surrealist thing I've seen since moving here.
---------------
Epsilon
What snow?
Quote:
I didn't know you got caught in last weekend's snowstorm too...
The morons over here don't know how to drive in the rain.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: What snow?
Quote:
The morons over here don't know how to drive in the rain.
Quote:
You're only just NOW learning this about the greater Lost Angeles area Ordi?
Although I have a theory about that. Its not that natives don't know how, its just that they don't get enough practice. Ergo, they forget so easily in between storms with... well... predictable results."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
What natives?
Quote:
Although I have a theory about that. Its not that natives don't know how, its just that they don't get enough practice. Ergo, they forget so easily in between storms with... well... predictable results.

I only know 2 people who were born in So-Cal. I ain't one of them.
I was raised in an area where typhoons were a seasonal occurence. Knowig how to drive in the rain gets ingrained quickly. The idioits over here still insist in driving over 65 mph, 30 feet from one another (as if the rain doesn't exist). So you pile ups. And what is going to be a slow drive now tuns into a nightmare.
You maybe right Ranger that the natives don't get enough practice, but it'll be a high learning curve in the meantime.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: What natives?
I just sit back, enjoy going no where, and let natural selection weed out the idiots. Much easier, and less stressful that way.[Image: smalldarksideoc5.png]
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
-Analects Book V, Chaper XXVI
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI