Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[OOC][SI][Multi-Xover] Calling All Writers - There's Nothing Better

Hmm... Maybe a expanded/clarified Three Laws, because look what happened in iRobot, but isn't HAL already good to go? Just make sure that there aren't any more errors and he'd be fine, right?

On a different note, would we have any of the Users from Tron around? And this just came to me, but would the Grid exist as it did in the films? If so, would we eventually have ISOs on our hands?

Oh, just a side note, a while back when I was talking to one of my other brothers about SCP, I decided that you could just pronounce it as "Sip".

I think musings like this would be a bit better off in the planning thread. Just to keep stuff like that altogether.

There we go - I think this is better pacing than before.

If I do write up the "girls see the sights the first weekend" thing, it'll be in a side-story. I won't write up the "teen-aged girls buy clothes" side-story, because it doesn't add anything to the plot.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Cool. My brother and I really do need to get cracking on the next update...

Mine is grinding slowly due to do issues

A rare mid-week update from me, since I made the setup for this in my last update.
--
Rob Kelk

Looks great. Smile

Now if only my brother and I can find a few minutes to hammer something out. We're leaving for Florida here tomorrow. :p

A thought for those of you hosting people.

While all your guests are fictional in our world, they also may exist as fiction in each other's worlds.

For example: Usagi may be a fan of the Tenchi Muyo anime/manga Or maybe Sasami reads Sailor Moon.

Good point.

Guys? Thoughts?

Hmmmmm...

In Toradora!, this is canon: while complaining about all of the things that make the transfer student so much more perfect than her, Taiga says that Ami has the same name as Sailor Mercury.

I would expect that, the closer a universe is to a "slice of life" story, the more likely it is to have the same media that our universe has.

In my self-insert's case, it's an interesting question. The Railgun girls (excepting possibly Saten-san) don't have time to read manga, but Sailor Moon is famous enough that they should at least have heard of the story. Going the other way, the Certain Magical Index and Certain Scientific Railgun stories didn't exist when Sailor Moon was written.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Hmmmmm...

In Toradora!, this is canon: while complaining about all of the things that make the transfer student so much more perfect than her, Taiga says that Ami has the same name as Sailor Mercury.

I would expect that, the closer a universe is to a "slice of life" story, the more likely it is to have the same media that our universe has.

In my self-insert's case, it's an interesting question. The Railgun girls (excepting possibly Saten-san) don't have time to read manga, but Sailor Moon is famous enough that they should at least have heard of the story. Going the other way, the Certain Magical Index and Certain Scientific Railgun stories didn't exist when Sailor Moon was written.
Not all worlds have to have the same fiction.  Maybe in the Railgun world Naoko Takeuchi never became a successful mangaka(sp?)  Maybe in one of these other worlds, what is a minor/obscure manga/anime to us, is a well known/very popular title to some of your guests. 

Timote Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Hmmmmm...

Not all worlds have to have the same fiction.  Maybe in the Railgun world Naoko Takeuchi never became a successful mangaka(sp?)  Maybe in one of these other worlds, what is a minor/obscure manga/anime to us, is a well known/very popular title to some of your guests. 
This could be supported by canon - Mikoto is a fan of a frog character that most definitely is not Sgt. Frog, and there's a plush figure of another not-Sgt. Frog frog character seen in the Index/Railgun universe.

(And, yes, "mangaka" is the usual romanization.)
--
Rob Kelk

Okay then. If you guys can make it fit, then go for it. Smile

Me, I think I'll have fun when people start going gaga over Ryo-Ohki. Big Grin

I keep thinking about this as a writing prompt, and it seems like it might be fun, but the characters I'm thinking about wouldn't get involved in the plot arcs at all.  Well, except for one, but she'd have negative usefulness.
I was thinking about having the undines of Aria join the cast of Azumanga Daioh in Santa Monica, California.  The Aria girls wanted to be here because "someone told us it was right next to Venice", of course.  Features would include:
  • Your company president was a cat?  *Sakaki blush*
  • Tomo: I challenge you to a gondola race!
  • How do we get back to Aqua?  Well, go down to Hawthorne and ask SpaceX for a ride.
  • Chiyo accepted to UCLA
  • Little Tokyo trip!!
  • Gondola service yet another sign of gentrification in Venice Beach/Marina del Rey
  • On saving the world, Tomo: All right chums, let's do this!
So pretty much nothing that would fit in the larger plot, but there would be lots of beach episodes.  Not sure I'd have time to do writing anyway.
-- ∇×V

V, if you decide to not take part, I'm going to steal some of this for background.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, more background adds uh, what do you call it, verisimilitude.
Actually one of the biggest problems is that when I had written this I had only seen six episodes of Aria.  And exposition is so slow in that show.  It's really the biggest weakness.  Adding a just about any manzai konbi would help, but Azumanga offers a lot more.  Sakaki has the ability to just end bits when they need to be ended.  Anyway I'm watching Aria now, so I may yet participate.
-- ∇×V

I promise I haven't forgotten this!!!

Just.... ugh. Real life is sapping away my creative energies.

I'm trying to get back into writing again by doing a thorough editorial of Being You is Suffering. I'll also need to work something out with my brother...

We really need to get our groups together for a face-to-face meeting - IIRC, we were going to have a party during Christmas 2016.

I can just see it: Mitoko challenging Ryoko to a duel ... Washuu giving Mitoko emergency first aid five seconds after the duel starts ... Makoto and Sasami trading recipes ... IC-Rob doing the whole nervous-fanboy thing if Skuld shows up ... Rei and Rei getting mixed up repeatedly ... Kaji giving Mii some completely wrong ideas about law enforcement ... Ruiko recording an entire 33-Stars live set ... Usagi going ga-ga over Ryo-ohki ... HAL announcing he's located somebody that IC-Rob asked him to monitor for, and everybody volunteering to go get them until RL-BA, RL-Rob, and Washuu-chan metaphorically slap some sense into people and suggest whoever's emotionally closest to them call first ... and Ruiko asking Washuu-chan for a big favour:
--
Rob Kelk

Ben: "Hey, Washu-chan! Wanna teach a twelve-year-old girl to operate mecha?"

Just remembered that we already have a collaborative pad - http://piratepad.net/wB3zdNuctY

Leveraging that for the "Xmas 2016 party" story.
--
Rob Kelk

I got it up on a pinned tab now, thanks Rob.

If you guys see me in there, then it should be a pretty good indicator that I'm online in some way or another.
RE: [OOC][SI][Multi-Xover] Calling All Writers - There's Nothing Better
Sorry for not being around much, real life has been screwing me big time. That said my next updates should be out sometime in the next couple weeks
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Thanks! I need to do a bit of research ... okay, a lot of research ... before I can continue my thread, so somebody else providing content will help.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'm actually doing to write up my ideas for this story.  I've had a sudden burst of creativity lately, which has caused a few of my story ideas for TNB to erupt into words.  I have around 18kB of text already, and it's mostly about the first few days/weeks of settling in.  And I'm finding out it's pretty hard to hide something from a character whose name is a pun on "read between the lines".  At some point, I'm going to want someone to preread what I've written and make sure the jokes all work, but I need to the editing pass.

I'm going to grab Aria and Azumanga Daioh to both be my initial groups, with the Aria set being about three weeks earlier.  As this is a group with zero super-powers, expect lots of slice-of-life, at least at first.

I still don't know where to put this bit:

"Ara ara ara," remarked Alicia, on looking at a tall, dirty-blonde woman in an elaborate blue and white dress.
    "Ara ara ara," replied Belldandy, on looking at a tall, blonde woman in an embellished blue and white dress.
    "Ara ara ara ara," responded Alicia, quizzically.
    "Ara ara ara," retorted Belldandy with a smile.
    "Ara ara, ara ara ara!"
    Osaka's eyes narrowed.  "Are they having a moment?"
    "Ara ara arara."
    Yomi groaned.  "Kill me now."
    The blondes turned to Yomi in unison, chiding, "Ara ara ara."  At which point they both started giggling.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm willing to preread for you, Brent. I'm actually familiar with both stories.

Akari might not have superpowers, but she certainly attracts more than her share of supernatural entities...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown