Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Anybody Watch "Tin Man"?
Did Anybody Watch "Tin Man"?
Peg and I did, and while it wasn't Oz, it wasn't too bad.
Anyway, I've been amusing myself the last couple days by trying to work out a list of all the explicit shout-outs to the famous 1939 Judy Garland version that I saw. And I was wondering if anyone else watched it and spotted something I didn't.
And when I say "shout-out", I don't necessarily mean something that was the same in both because they were paralleling the same plot (although one or two of mine are kind of close to that). I mean something that explicitly invokes a memory a viewer would have of the earlier film. Check the list, you'll see what I mean.
* DG's waitress uniform is all but identical to Judy Garland's costume; likewise for the hairstyle when she's wearing it.
* Sheriff Elmer Gulch, who wants to arrest DG, references Margaret Hamilton as Elmyra Gulch, who had a grudge against Dorothy and Toto
* DG's house is numbered 39
* When running across the meadow to the entrance to the Realm of the Abandoned, Glitch stumbles in a manner similar to Ray Bolger's rubber-legged Scarecrow
* In the illusion used on DG by Azkedelia, DG "wakes up" the next morning to discover her adventure in the O.Z. was "just a dream" -- which she described as being "in Technicolor"
* DG's line "And Toto, too"
* During a flashback, Azkedelia and DG's shared "Lions, tigers and bears, oh my" lines just before the encounter with the bear.
* The spinning tornado sculpture in the Mystic Man's theatre
* The Mystic Man's brief appearance as a giant head floating in the air, heralded by gouts of flame
* The Queen calling out for DG in Azkedelia's viewing tank echoes the image of Aunt Em in the Wicked Witch's crystal ball, and uses some of the same dialogue
* The longcoats marching in front of Azkedelia's tower echo the Winkies in front of the Witch's castle
* Cain, Glitch and Raw's strategem for entering the tower to rescue DG is the same as that used by the Tin Woodsman, the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion to get into the Witch's castle

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
Re: Did Anybody Watch "Tin Man"?
Ahammo came to the O.Z. by balloon from Nebraska, just as the Wizard did in the original novel.
The first queen of the O.Z., for whom DG is named, was Dorothy Gale.
The sequence where DG meets the Grey Gale - the ghost of Queen Dorothy - is in black and white and mimics the original movie, right down to Dorothy's appearance matching Judy Garland's as closely as possible.
--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.