Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question
A question
Does anyone here know a way to put mathematical formulae, such as those generated by TeX or similar, into LiveJournal posts?
Sorry about this, but I'm not sure who else to ask (there's been no response to my inquiry on this topic in LiveJournal's support area).
--The Twisted One"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms."
--Voltaire
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
Re: A question
given that lj supports HTML, I would imagine you would use tag..
sorry, I can't contribute a definitive answer to this questionWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
The problem with that is converting the formulas to HTML (or particularly, LiveJournal's restricted subset of it), even preformatted, when the math contains such things as double and triple integrals, path integrals, subsets, complicated exponents, nested fractions, multiple entities or fractions under square roots, matricies, vectors, operators, etc. The preformatting tag does little to help.
--The Twisted One
"If you wish to converse with me, define your terms."
--Voltaire
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
almost looks like you'd be best off outputting from TeX into png or gif!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
That is generally how most sites get away with it(e.g. Wolfram Research's Math World). Since most fourms/blogs/etc. have little in the way of formatting, and word processing, your best bet is to make a .gif or .png image of your formula(e) and then use the img tag to insert it. for HTML, [] for BBCode, I believe.[Image: smalldarksideoc5.png]
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
-Analects Book V, Chaper XXVI
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Concur. Its what I'd do."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Unicode should in theory have the characters for all of that, but many people are probably missing pieces of the Unicode characters. Also conversion to unicode is not exactly straightforward, and the representation is probably a little more awkward (a / instead of a line with text above and below for division, etc) unless you combine it with html.
if you simply wish to display it in your log an image is the best choice I think, but for other uses a different representation might be worthwhile.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Unicode doesn't help as mathematical formulas are not straight lines of text. Unicode assumes text is only moving in a straight line (that line can be left-to-right, right-to-left or even up-to-down, but it has to be straight). Theoretically there is MathML, but I don't know what support is like outside of Firefox and even then, it isn't fully supported in Firefox.
www.w3.org/Math/
www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/