Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A name for a military tactic
A name for a military tactic
You guys are beginning to become my outboard memory.
Thank you.
At any rate, I'm trying to remember the name for a military tactic. And I emphasize tactic here.
It was famously used by Napoleon in the Battle of Austerlitz. When faced with a larger foe, particularly one which is made up of seperate elements, you attack in force (and, if I remember correctly, as one unit) one of the seperate elements, then move onto the next element until you have won the field.
I believe the tactic ends with the word "line" or "lines." Like "turning line" or "bending lines." Something to that effect.
A similar idea, taken to the strategic level, was behind the Schlieffen Plan, in which German forces would invade France through Belgium in order to bypass the larger elements of the French Army and defeat the smaller units to the side.
-Murmur
Defeat in Detail and/or Turning the flanks
"Defeat in Detail"
everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1504578
A "Defeat in Detail" often, but not always uses "turning the flanks" to attack a smaller segment of a larger army and breaking that larger army into smaller segments that are defeated in relative isolation.

"Turning the Flanks"
Nepoleon Maxims
www.military-info.com/fre...aximsn.htm
Simply going around the enemies strong point and hitting them in a weaker point this ofen leads to a "Defeat in Detail" for the Flanked force.
Traditionally Flanks were considered to be only the extreme right or left of a force, but even then their were sappers and tunnelers that could turn a castle or siege lines "flank" by tunneling under it's strongest defenses. In modern times since roughly the American civil war thier has been the possibility of turning your "Vertical flank".
howard melton
God bless
Other possibility
Quote:
"Defeat in Detail"
everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1504578
A "Defeat in Detail" often, but not always uses "turning the flanks" to attack a smaller segment of a larger army and breaking that larger army into smaller segments that are defeated in relative isolation.

"Turning the Flanks"
Nepoleon Maxims
www.military-info.com/fre...aximsn.htm
Simply going around the enemies strong point and hitting them in a weaker point this ofen leads to a "Defeat in Detail" for the Flanked force.
Traditionally Flanks were considered to be only the extreme right or left of a force, but even then their were sappers and tunnelers that could turn a castle or siege lines "flank" by tunneling under it's strongest defenses. In modern times since roughly the American civil war thier has been the possibility of turning your "Vertical flank".
howard melton
God bless

The other possibility is the attack en echelon. It's typically where you pin the defender's line with attacks in succession to keep him guessing where the main effort is going to be and a main attack to rupture the line and turn the flanks in. The schwerpunkt is conducted at a weak point in the line, normally the flank.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I just remembered it
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I knew little then and now know more.
The tactic I was thinking of was "Interior Lines."
Now: are there any good books on strategy and tactics that you would recommend? Not just for me but for all of the budding war novelists on the forum?
-murmur
books
The Art of War
Go Rin No Sho (Book of Five Rings) Musashi (There are a lot of translations on this - I have two - one of which is superior is describing the strategic elements - I will look at it when I get home)
On War (Carl Von Clausewutz)
Shayne
Re: books
Not books, really, but this guy has a lot to say and is good with his details.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Reseeestunce ees fiutil. Yoo weeel bee Useemooletud. Borg Borg Borg."
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."