Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter
In case folks don't know, last December, a fully-featured playing version of the videogame "The Last Starfighter", from the movie of the same name lo these many years ago, was released for free to the Net. If you go here, you can download a copy. You can also see the videogame cabinet these folks have restored -- not the original from the film, sadly, but a copy made for a recent documentary.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ah, the last starfighter
I've always thought that this would be a great movie to remake, along with Wargames.
[and not just because it's the cold war come again].
Think about it. Aliens use MMOs to find and recruit humans to use as soldiers in their civil war. It practically writes itself.
Though I can't believe that someone made it into a musical. Damn, after Wicked they'll turn ANYTHING into a song-and-dance won't they.
-murmur
Also a cool remake: Foxfire. Though instead of the soviet union you'd have to make it Airbus or something.
Re: Ah, the last starfighter
Actually, I hope they don't remake it.
Because the longer it's been since The Last Starfighter was well known, the less derivative a hypothetical Green Lantern movie would seem (You have been recruited by the Guardians to defend Sector 2814 against Sinestro and the Weaponers of Qward!), and we're at the point where FX technology can handle it. Smile
--Sam
"In loudest din, in hush profound..."
on two points
Looking at the graphics [not going to download or play cause who has the time?], it kind of reminds me of the Star Wars arcade game. Maybe crossed with . . . Top Gun?
Someone from the console era disagree with me or something. I usually only played Pac Man and Space Invaders. Loved Space Invaders.
And if it comes to a choice between a green lantern movie or a last starfighter remake, i'd rather see starfighter. i'm not sure if i'd trust a hollywood writer with the power ring, whereas a big ol' jet with guns is something a tad more easily understood.
Now a Lensman movie . . . it's problematic but could also be awesome. If they'd made it back in the 40s and 50s it would have been Mars Attacks meets Birth of a Nation. Nowadays it could be either Wing Commander meets The Notebook or Children of Men meets Zulu.
-murmur
Re: The Last Starfighter
Quote:
In case folks don't know, last December, a fully-featured playing version of the videogame "The Last Starfighter", from the movie of the same name lo these many years ago, was released for free to the Net.
Does the voice of Robert Preston greet you and send you off to fight against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada?
I actually saw this movie in a first-run theater. It was really fun.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
I actually have the full soundtrack for The Last Starfighter. I can make rips for it if anyone is interested. ^_^-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Quote:
Does the voice of Robert Preston greet you and send you off to fight against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada?
Actually, yes.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....