Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass Effect - Broken Street Date
Mass Effect - Broken Street Date
Those of you with an XBox 360 (assuming there's any) and who also live in the states, you may want to head on by the nearest K-mart. Apparently they're selling it, even though the street date isn't for 10 days.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Re: Mass Effect - Broken Street Date
I'm not really too surprised.
At the store I work at, most games don't come with hold dates on them, so we pretty much have to guess.
There's also a bookstore around here that only gets the month that manga are supposed to be released, so they sometimes have things out at the beginning of the month that aren't supposed to be out until later...
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"

-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Apparently, the games have the street date WRITTEN ON THEM.
K-mart apparently just doesn't care about the contracts they sign with distributors.--
Okay, now that's weird.
Actually *on* the package? Huh. I don't think I'd ever seen that before Halo 3 came out.
---(Not really)
My wife, (who manages at a bookstore) was speechless. She gets books with strict onsale dates all the time, and if they *knowingly* broke a street date they're looking at massive fines for the store, the company, and depending on the situation, a firing for at least one staff member.
--
Well, like I said, in most of the cases I'm familiar with, no one knows...
And from the person I talked to in that bookstore, they get the full release date information for other books. Just for some reason they're only told the month for manga.
---(Not really)
So, I was working in electronics and decided to check this out.
Mass Effect does indeed have the street date on the game package.
The game packages, in turn, are in a box that also has the street date printed in large, friendly numbers.
The box, of course, was securely locked up in back.
Whatever store this was at, I suspect that this isn't the only thing they're messing up the release date on, if they're missing such obvious things.
---(Not really)
For some reason, I get the feeling that it goes something like this.
Person in charge who never looked at the game: Put the game on the shelves.
*Clerk looks at release date on the box, shrugs, and puts it up anyway*
I'd have been inclined to believe that if it was an isolated incident, but it appeared to be company-wide. For about 2 days, until MS (the distributor) started raising hell.--
Well, it sure as hell wasn't happening where I work.
And I have a hard time believing it was company-wide, simply because it's packaged just the same way everything else that has a hold date is - except with slightly more warnings. A store that is messing up the hold dates on this ought to have been messing up the hold dates on everything else too, and that should have gotten a lot of attention.
As for the "person in charge" scenario - nope. At least in our store, there is one person in electronics at a time, and they are the boss of themselves for the duration. If management is telling us to do anything, it's usually to have us work in some entirely different department for a while.
Anyway, I'm starting to get really irritable about this whole issue. I have enough trouble with all the people who won't accept that I can't sell them Wiis that I don't have, I don't need all these other bastards too. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm ready to give Mass Effect a -10 for it's fans wasting my time.
---(Not really)
In other news, EB Games Australia has decided to break the street date.
In still other news, the Limited Edition of the game, previously Online Only for US customers, can now be purchased from Future Shop and Best Buy Canada.--