Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 2 - Crisis on Infinite Earths
(07-22-2018, 03:08 PM)Mamorien Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:19 PM)Dartz Wrote: and, after quite a while turing....  it's obvious they're passed the Touring test.

If you'd brought that to Callahan's on a Tuesday night, I believe it would've received the Supreme Accolade. If you ever get out to Key West, you might test whether The Place still holds Punday Nights.

Oh GOD. FUCKING CALLAHANS.

Okay. How's this.

Every town that has one of our apartments has a Callahans.

And they're all the same place.

No, really. If Rob were to walk into the location where he lives, and I walk into the one in San Antonio, we'd suddenly be meeting up at the same bar.

Also, the place seems to go unnoticed by the general rank-and-file. Only 'special people' really seem to notice it. Like a Harry Potter wizard's muggle repulsion charm.

However, no matter how carefully done, walking back out the door leaves you in the same place you entered at. Such is the Magic of Callahans. Not even the Goddesses are quite sure what to make of this. However, they aren't ones to let a good thing go to waste. Wink

Thoughts?

Quote:It'll also make Elizer Yudkowsky piss himself because he hung up on them months before.....

And that's before he finds out that this is in fact the simulation.

Quote:"So, basically, we're copies on Yggdrasil's sandbox page. Or in its pastebin, whatever term you prefer."

For the record, you made me do this. Wink

RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 2 - Crisis on Infinite Earths
(07-22-2018, 03:41 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 01:19 PM)Dartz Wrote: and, after quite a while turing....  it's obvious they're passed the Touring test.

If you'd brought that to Callahan's on a Tuesday night, I believe it would've received the Supreme Accolade. If you ever get out to Key West, you might test whether The Place still holds Punday Nights.

Oh GOD.  FUCKING CALLAHANS.

Okay.  How's this.

Every town that has one of our apartments has a Callahans.

And they're all the same place.

No, really.  If Rob were to walk into the location where he lives, and I walk into the one in San Antonio, we'd suddenly be meeting up at the same bar.

Also, the place seems to go unnoticed by the general rank-and-file.  Only 'special people' really seem to notice it.  Like a Harry Potter wizard's muggle repulsion charm.

However, no matter how carefully done, walking back out the door leaves you in the same place you entered at.  Such is the Magic of Callahans.  Not even the Goddesses are quite sure what to make of this.  However, they aren't ones to let a good thing go to waste.  Wink

Thoughts?

"Mamoru, let's go get a drink or three." An apartment manager and a tuxedo-clad superhero walk into a bar...

Yeah, I could use this.

EDIT: And, canonically, people who need to find Callahan's, do. Sounds like the perfect place to unwind after a major event.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Which is part of why I moved the relevant posts here - methinks some people are gonna need it sooner than later. Tongue

Though I will admit that I need to brush up on the lore a bit. Given the nature of Callahan's, you can drop it in here as-is and it won't harm a thing.
Hmmmmm... Looking at the RA Centre's website, I see that they have a lot of recreational activities. And they are literally right next door to the shopping mall that my SI's boarders shop at.

So, yeah, SI-Rob is going to get a family membership - photography club for him, judo club for Mii and Makoto, chess club and lots of swimming pools for Ami ... and a gun club (apparently the only one open to the public in Ottawa). Once the Sisters move to Ottawa, there's going to be a set of apparently-13-year-old identical quadruplet sisters showing up, asking whether they can join (the club's rules say they can), and amazing the range instructors as to the accuracy, precision, and resolution of their groupings. No need to tell the range instructors that they're actually clones mass-produced as soldiers, right?

For more LOLs, have them show up the first time dressed alike. "Are we sure that isn't the same girl trying out over and over again? Clear four lanes for them; I want to see them all shoot at the same time." And then they all put little X-marks made of bullet holes in the middle of the inner ring at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Pffffft! At which point Rob will need to pointedly tell them to quit freaking the 'danes. Big Grin
Just updated my personnel file entry

The update is as of three months in-universe after Mikoto &co. arrived. Since my stories have only progressed two months in-universe after Mikoto &co. arrived, there may be spoilers... although I believe we've already discussed them all save for Misaka Misaka's new nickname. (Misaka Misaka ... Mi- Mi-... Mimi. "Mimi Misaka" is slightly more believable as a name than having the same given and family name, no?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sounds good to me.

We may also want to work on a nice collaborative bit for meeting up in Callahans sometime soon.

I'm going to be posting the FMP! arc soon.  Armslaves at Camp Bullis.  Not a soul is gonna notice THAT now, right? Wink

In fact, have a tidbit...

Quote:“FREQUENT. ROUTE. SEVENTY. FIVE. FOR. WEST. COMMERCE. DOWNTOWN.”

Kaname’s eyes fluttered as the mechanical voice echoed in her head.  Why was the bus’s announcement system working in English?  Suddenly, the features all began to register.

This was not one of the buses from her home.

Panic began to rise in her stomach and she forced it back down, because Kaname was a level-headed young lady and there was no way in hell she was about to make a scene and attract undue attention.

“Please remain calm,” said a familiar voice next to her that suddenly made the entire world seem safe once again.

“Sousuke!?” said Kaname, barely keeping it at more than a whisper.  “What is going on?  How long have I been out?”

“Twenty-two minutes from the time I regained consciousness myself.  From what I can understand, we’re somehow in America.  The City of San Antonio, Texas to be exact.”

“... How did this happen?  Was it Amalgam?  Was it... Leonard?”

“Negative.  Had Amalgam or Leonard captured us, I doubt they would have any reason to even simulate this experience.  There is no reason for it.  The only thing I can say for certain is that we are, without a doubt, in America.”

“... So what do we do now?”

“I think it would be best if we pretended to be tourists.  At the very least we’re not wearing our school uniforms, so that won’t stand out.  Though your hair may present an issue.  The only person I’ve seen with your color of hair was an obvious cosmetic application.”

“If anyone asks about it, we’ll just say that I’m that good.”

“... Sufficient.”

“NOW. APPROACHING. FRIO...  FRIO. STREET.  PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE REAR DOOR.”

“This seems a good place to get off.  Let’s go.”

Don't worry.  I won't leave those two hanging for long.  Wink
hey, the talk about Callahan's, i dont know that bar/restaurant chain, so i'm going to basically be putting it here in Maguires Irish Pub or rather in the building, does it match even closely?
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(07-23-2018, 04:34 AM)Rajvik Wrote: hey, the talk about Callahan's, i dont know that bar/restaurant chain, so i'm going to basically be putting it here in Maguires Irish Pub or rather in the building, does it match even closely?

Thety are referring to a fictional bar: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon from a novel series by Spider Robinson.
(07-23-2018, 04:57 AM)Norgarth Wrote:
(07-23-2018, 04:34 AM)Rajvik Wrote: hey, the talk about Callahan's, i dont know that bar/restaurant chain, so i'm going to basically be putting it here in Maguires Irish Pub or rather in the building, does it match even closely?

Thety are referring to a fictional bar: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon from a novel series by Spider Robinson.

alright, then try this on for size.

I don’t know when the Maguires in Pensacola changed into a Callahan’s, but it still was a decent bar, with the usual pub grub and booze so I wasn’t one to complain. Quite frankly, with the time I was having with the two crews integrating and getting used to living in my world, I needed a night out. That and the ability to be alone in a crowd was starting to wear at me.

Unfortunately for the last bit, even sitting at the bar listening to a good guitarist play in another room, I was still alone in the crowd. It was my curse really, something about me made me just blend into the surroundings. Thankfully, my sense of obligation was able to keep me from being a complete drunk like the platinum blonde down the bar. Loud, raucous, and absolutely beautiful, there was something about her that twigged my memory, like I had seen her somewhere before. I let out a sigh and stared at my cola, it wouldn’t matter if I knew her or not, I was not one of the beautiful people, and I was not one of the important people. That was something that was usually left to Washu-chan who qualified on both accounts, (especially when she showed her older self,) and Belldandy-sama. Hell, even Skuld-sama was more important than I was, but then again, I couldn’t begrudge the fact that the goddess of the future was such a cute little cuss.

“Oh, who’s the gloomy Gus?” a voice said loudly in my ear. Glancing over my shoulder, I found the drunken blonde practically pouting right at my shoulder. “Mike,” she called to the bartender. “This man needs something strong, a drink to liven him up.” The bartender nodded and pulled a bottle from the shelf starting to poor the shot even before I could refuse.

“Miss,” I said starting to turn on my barstool, “I appreciate the drink, but you don’t want me drunk in my current mood. It wouldn’t be a good thing.” She turned back as if to argue with me and our eyes locked, that and I noticed the bright blue mark on her forehead. “Urd-sama,” I whispered, my eyes going wide. How had I missed the mark of power when I saw her the first time, how had I missed the obvious gold bangles and other hallmarks of her appearance? None of that mattered as in the next moment her lips were pressed fully against mine.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Oh man. Dude. You NEED to read Callahans.

Because the moment your character would walk in there, he'd know already that he's not in the 'usual' sort of establishment. This is because the 'crosstime' part is not shitting around. Callahan's sees its fair share of immortals, time travelers, and extra terrestrials. And best of all, the toasting.

What about it?

All the shots are up-priced by twenty-five cents. This is because you have the option of making a toast, slinging it back, and then THROWING YOUR EMPTY GLASS INTO THE FIREPLACE!!! For the ones you don't throw, there's a jar full of quarters. On your way out you simply take one for each shot you didn't make a 'toast' for.

Oh, and then there's the weekly Punday Night. Consider yourself warned. Tongue
Addendum: This is more like a proper Callahan's snippet.  (Though I must confess, it's been a while for me, so my characterizations may be a bit off.)

Quote:After only a couple of visits, Callahan knew exactly the sort of drink Ben needed.

Jeremiah Weed, double, neat.

Ben took the shot and kept right on going without missing a beat.

"To my ridiculous, outrageous love life, and the fucked up luck it has."  In one smooth motion, he drained the glass, and then sent it to the fireplace where it shattered in an almost musical tone.

Ben then went to take a seat at the bar, where Callahan already had a cold pint of Angry Orchard waiting for him.

The rest of the patrons looked on in mild surprise as Ben's pull on that glass didn't stop until it was empty.  Callahan was on the ball and had another one waiting for him by the time Ben set the empty tumbler firmly down onto the bar.  This time, though, Ben only sipped, letting the sweet and crisp hard cider linger on his tongue before taking it down the hatch.

"Jesus, Ben," said Jake Stonebender as he eyed the younger man with concern.  "You sure you should be going at it like that on your anti-depressants?"

Ben, though, waved it off.  "Haven't taken any for the last twenty-four hours just so I can do this."

"Okay, this is serious kid.  What the hell's eating you?  Girl troubles?"

Ben chuckled in a tired, hysterical way.  "Oh great googly moogly is there ever.  A good number of the underage girls in my care have suddenly declared their feelings for me.  Which then prompted a brawl.  Do you have any idea what a knock-down-drag-out fight between teenage girls looks like when all of them can punch out a main battle tank?"

The stylus in the jukebox suddenly dragged across the single it was playing and fell silent as the rest of the room's occupants looked at Ben in surprise.  Even 'Slippery' Joe Maser, known bigamist with two wives (who were quite happy with the arrangement, thank you very much) was not immune - mostly because the word 'underage' had been dropped.  The bit about their super powers didn't help, either.

"This is just so typical for me, you know?  Hardly any women would ever give me a second look.  Like as if I got this sign over my head that reads 'Damaged Goods - Buyer Beware'.  But the little ones?  They don't see that.  I mean, yes, they know I'm hurt.  But instead of avoiding me, they want to make me feel better instead!  I mean, sure, I honestly appreciate the sentiment.  I mean that unironically.  I am truly touched that they care about me that much.  But the average age for these girls is FOURTEEN YEARS OLD.  I like my ladies a bit on the young side, but what the holy hell!?"

"Well," said Jake slowly.  "You can wait, can't ya?  I mean, they ain't gonna stay fourteen forever."

Ben really did laugh hysterically this time.  "oh man oh man oh man, this is so fucking rich.  You guys are gonna fucking love this shit.  Some of them actually can stay that young because they're technically liches."  At that point, even Callahan nearly dropped the tumbler he was polishing as horrified gasps made their way around the bar.  "They made a deal with a devil thinking they were gonna make the world a better place and their own souls got put in these gemstones.  You can put a .44 magnum through one of them and they'll just use their magic abilities to repair the damage, because that's all it is - just damage!"

"Okay kid, calm down a bit.  We're gonna talk this out, okay?  You know you've been one of us ever since you walked in that door and tipped your hat to Ralph."

"S'why I came here, Jake.  That, and the Angry Orchard."  Callahan, good man that he is, already had yet another pint of the hard cider waiting for him the moment Ben set the empty one down.

"He definitely has good taste," said Callahan.  "Shame about the girl thing, though.  You sure that waiting will be an issue?"

Ben sighed and took a pull from the fresh pint.  "S'not quite as cut and dry.  My thing is that I'm big on physical affection.  Sure, someone can say they love you.  But for me, it's not real until it 'feels' real.  And in today's society I can't even give them a hug without looking like a pedophile and a child predator."

"You go ahead and drink up, Ben," said Callahan as he reached over and patted Ben on the shoulder.  "Just promise us that as soon as your sober up in the morning that you'll be back on your meds."

"No problem, Cal," said Ben with a wan smile on his face.  "Believe me, I know the drugs work.  Thank God for small miracles."

See, Callahan's isn't the sort of place you go simply to get your party on.  Though there are fun times to be had, they're mostly of a more intellectual bent.

Rather, Callahans is the sort of place you stumble upon when you have something heavy weighing you down that needs to be worked out.  And ho boy, does Ben have a whopper for them.
Quote:Rob looked up from his rum-and-cola. "And here I thought I had it bad. My toast was going to be 'to an overabundance of love'."

"What, you too?"

"Yeah, Ben. Only two of my lovely ladies have declared their love for me, though, although they did it at the same time while sitting beside each other. And they've both agreed to wait until they're of age before we do anything more than hug." He turned to Jake. "And they are able to grow up, unlike Ben's admirers."

Jake looked at Rob, then at Ben. Rob was easily Ben's senior by over a decade. "What do the two of you think of these girls?" he asked.

"I can't speak for Ben," Rob answered, "but I know I love both of my girls - my girlfriends, I should say - very much. I love all the girls, but not the way I love these two."

"Do you mind me asking who ...?" Ben started.

"Sorry, Ben, but I do mind. We promised we wouldn't tell everybody just yet."

Tom stopped passing pints to Mike and looked at Rob from behind the bar. "Secret love? You're just asking for heartbreak, sir."

Rob didn't answer.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Re-reading your post, BA. Callahan's doesn't have a working jukebox - it's live music only (usually played by Eddie or Jake). And everybody call Callahan "Mike".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Also, didn't Callahan basically leave the joint to Jake and head back to his own time?
I was thinking of asking "What's a Callahans?" but I waited for some other sucker to do it first. Looks like I've got another book to read.

I'm not sure exactly how my group would interact with the place -- I don't drink alcohol so I doubt my SI would wander in, and most of my tenants wouldn't either. Kaorin might, but she's just a skosh too young. Probably all of the people from Aria drink wine, even Alice, but a pub is not exactly their scene. Maybe via Sonomi -- not because she especially likes drinking -- but because she will have done a lot of it due to being a business executive.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Like I said, it's been a while for me. I definitely got some rereading to do. Time to hit up the local library.

Labster, no worries. Callahan stories tend to be shorts for the most part, and are an utter joy to read for how wonderfully they portray humanity and some of its more interesting quirks.

Callahan's... It's very much a traditional pub, and yet not. You walk into Callahan's and it's like stumbling into a whole community of strange and fascinating people where everyone knows each other, but no one is really treated as an outsider unless they do something deserving of it. (And it has happened before, apparently - Callahan threw a very large man out through the front door. Literally, through a door made of solid oak. It's been mended, but hasn't hung quite right ever since.)

Really, ladies are not a common sight there, but your girls? They'd probably love it. It has the same sort of magical draw to it that the canals of Aqua has to them. Only instead of architectural and natural wonders, there are people that have a quiet sort to liveliness to them.

But yes, definitely read the books. You won't be disappointed. Smile
It's a merry place on most nights. And it's never a dark, dreary or sad place to be, even when the world is in danger.

And if the world is in danger, there isn't a better group of people to face it with -- because they've gotten good at averting such danger. These are people I suspect Heaven and Hell are moving themselves to find and put in this world as support staff -- or counselors. A version of Callahan's that has a door nearby each of the apartments would be a very useful thing for all concerned.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(07-23-2018, 02:54 PM)Labster Wrote: I was thinking of asking "What's a Callahans?" but I waited for some other sucker to do it first.  Looks like I've got another book to read.

It is very much a modern classic. The first book starts off with Spider Robinson's very first story - at least, the very first that he sold - and goes on from there.

(The poor guy was working as a nightwatchman - guarding a hole in the ground so nobody would steal it - and decided anything was better than that. So he tried writing. "Write what you know"; he knew going to a bar and getting drunk. So that's what he wrote. He sold the story to Analog. Then he sold another one, where the science was sociology. Then he sold another, and another, and eventually he became a popular author.)

Amazon has hardcopy and ebook formats for sale.

(07-23-2018, 02:54 PM)Labster Wrote: I'm not sure exactly how my group would interact with the place -- I don't drink alcohol so I doubt my SI would wander in, and most of my tenants wouldn't either.  Kaorin might, but she's just a skosh too young.  Probably all of the people from Aria drink wine, even Alice, but a pub is not exactly their scene.  Maybe via Sonomi -- not because she especially likes drinking -- but because she will have done a lot of it due to being a business executive.

I could see Sonomi visiting Callahan's, especially if she was beating herself up for falling in love with her late sister's husband and needed to talk about it with somebody.

And Mike will have wine in stock, even if he needs to get it from the back room. Funny how he always seems to have something close to what a patron orders, even if he has to get it out of a corner in the back room.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, I can imagine. Vintage 2013, aged 20 years.

Apparently the extent of the talk about Tomoyo's father in Cardcaptor Sakura is Sakura saying "You don't talk much about your father." I'm just gonna assume Sonomi is single.
Hmmm... How about someplace suitably close at hand instead of right in the complex (because even for this setting that'd be a bit weird). For example, there's an old run-down convenience store that just shut down that's just about directly across from my complex. I think that can easily be swapped out for a 'mirror' of Callahan's. The lot is about the right size with plenty of room for parking. (Not that we'd need it per say, but it's good to keep up appearances - make that notice-me-not-unless-you-need-it thing work a little less hard.)
In re: "Runtime Error":

What Skuld said. Ew.

Anyway, when Gregg Sharp, Skysaber and that whole crew got done deconstructing the whole Master PC concept some ten years or more ago, I'd say it was pretty much ruined for any kind of use.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeah. But now it shouldn't be able to show up in the story. EDIT: And, with any luck, other NC-17 / XXX mind-control devices should also be caught by Yggdrasil before they appear in the setting.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
But all five of us are XXX mind control devices.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
You never replied to my email, Rob, but I can see now that your latest story is the reply.  I like the characters in Detective Academy Q and the individual mysteries are actually pretty good -- especially the first long arc.  But the metaplot is so dumb sometimes, and I don't know how to remove the hypnosis element and still talk about Meiousei.