Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 2 - Crisis on Infinite Earths
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 2 - Crisis on Infinite Earths
Don't worry too much about it then.  This is probably just another case of me getting my wires crossed.

However, I feel that I can't be blamed because we've repeatedly had references to Hotaru being an "Angel of Death" - not least of all the quote used in her wiki page.

My advice?  If we're going to have it be that a character is not a specific something, then let us please avoid references to them being that something.  Otherwise we're going to have to waste a lot of time and energy explaining things that we shouldn't have to waste time and energy to explain.

As for the Tenchi Muyo "Trinity": Washu, Tokimi, and Tsunami are not gods.  (And I apologize if I have said so before - I was trying to differentiate the OVA versions from their various other TV and Film versions.)  This is canonical to the Tenchi Muyo OVAs, GXP Novels, and the War on Geminar series.  In fact, this was the entire basis behind the overall plot for OVAs 1 through 3: these three are not goddesses, but they are seeking evidence that a higher power than they could exist.

Tenchi himself, on the other hand, being the end result of the efforts of Washu, Tsunami, and Tokimi, actually is a god.  A god of what is not known.

The whole not-a-god thing is also seen in Masaki Kajishima's novelizations that cover Yosho's past, particularly in the relationship between Yosho and Airi.  Airi is/was the crown princess of her world, which is a theocracy that wants to worship Tsunami.  Tsunami has flat-out said that she is not a goddess.  The Jyuraians honor and respect this wish of hers.  The Airaians...  don't.  With the exception of a few like Airi, who has been deposed as a royal.

(Their marriage is actually a state secret, as well as the existence of the Masaki clan on Earth.  Seto and Azusa have just been waiting for Yosho to quit screwing around and finally accept his responsibilities.)

Keep in mind: Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo are both separate canon from the OVAs.  And to add even more to the confusion, are even mutually exclusive with each other as well!  Even worse, the movies are each their own canon as well!  The manga series, No Need for Tenchi, is based on the events in OVAs 1 & 2, but otherwise diverges from that point on.

The main reason, I think, that Universe and Tokyo were so popular was because they differed from Kajishima's work where Tenchi actually winds up marrying all of them.  There was a knee-jerk reaction from the fandom because up until this point, the Tenchi Solution was something unheard of, and various big name fans had their own ideas about who Tenchi should marry.  (Thus, we also had the seed for Waifu Wars and Shipping Feuds.)

But with Tenchi Muyo GXP and War on Geminar, the original OVAs have been picking up in popularity once more, and is probably helped by the fact that there is contiguous canon between these series, as opposed to the confusing mess of everything else!

(Granted, though, the GXP TV series differs wildly from the GXP Novels in that the director, Shinichi Watanabe, shifted the focus of the series from the plot to comedy, and used the robot, NB, as a vehicle for that by basically turning that character into his self-insert avatar [NB = Nabeshin, natch], even going as far as the voice the character himself!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Planning for Arc 2 - Crisis on Infinite Earths - by Black Aeronaut - 10-10-2021, 04:28 AM
[No subject] - by Bob Schroeck - 11-01-2016, 09:24 PM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 11-02-2016, 02:00 AM
[No subject] - by Black Aeronaut - 11-03-2016, 06:38 AM