Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round 3 Fight!
Round 3 Fight!
I and my roomate and his girlfriend are in a middle of a legal battle with our landlord.
It all started about 2 years ago when 2 things happened.
1. Someone in our housing rental complex filed a complaint with the Los Angeles Department of Health and Services due to repairs that are needed to everyone's houses.
2. My roomate (who holds the rental agreement) forgot to renew the yearly lease. Making us go month to month.
3. So, the upshot is that our lndlord gave us notice that starting the beginning of the year, the rent was going from 750 to 1000 in 3 months time and then 1400 after that. And no, they're not going to effect any repairs to our place.
We went to court in March and the case was dismissed. Round 1 to us. Our lawyer wanted to press ahead with a civil suit, but my roomate reached a verbal agreement with our landlord that the rent remained at current level (imagine my horror when I heard about it later).
So at the end of August, they served notice of eviction on us due to the fact we haven't paid the extra rent increases.
We went to court aftr Labor Day. Our idiot lawyer forgot to do his homework and the judg ruled in favor of the landlord. Our lawyer filed an appeal , but he didn't tell us until this Friday. Unfortunately, we already vacated the house!
Now, there's a Los Angeles city ordinance that states that until DHS signs off any remedies needed to the structure, a landlord cannot enact any rent increases until 60 days after the clearance, nor can they evict.
So our lawyer is going to talk to the judge with his homework in hand. The landlord's lawyer is not going to contest the appeal (which tells you how bad their case is now).
So round 3 is coming up..I'll let you guys now by Thursday.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Round 3 Fight!
good luck Big Grin although it looks like its more or less going to be a win for your side :O_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.
The judge granted the appeal..with a new trial date for next Tuesday. Since the Department of Health and Services supports the case....
I'll let you guys know how it went...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell