Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony does it again...
Sony does it again...
According to The Inquirer, Son'y put a rootkit on their secure USB memory sticks.
You'd think they would have learned by now... Ah, well - they don't make anything I can't get from somebody else, anyway. Except for the Wii (Edit: PS3, not Wii), and I'm not really a console gamer, so I don't care. "Fool me once...", and all that.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Sony does it again...
I wonder who thought this was a good idea?
I spent a month solid this summer chasing a virus that used rootkit-like behavior and spread over U3 'enhanced' memory sticks.- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:
Ah, well - they don't make anything I can't get from somebody else, anyway. Except for the Wii, and I'm not really a console gamer, so I don't care
I think you mean the PS3, as Nintendo makes the Wii.
---------------
-Jon
Leo (July 23-Aug. 22)
The population density of Wyoming is very low, but that doesn't mean the people there aren't also out to kill you.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Like I said, I'm not a console gamer...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Not trying to parade console sales or anything but..
Sony probably WISHES it mad the Wii at this point.- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:
Sony probably WISHES it mad the Wii at this point.
Quoted for truthWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Who knew that changing the way games were interfaced with would draw more sales than just slinging more and more polygons at the screen?- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Who knew secretly installing software on your customers' computers to reduce their usefulness would result in lawsuits?

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Sony is really flipping stupid for doing crap like this.- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Actually, according to the latest reports I've read, it's not really a rootkit -- it seems it's part of the support software for the fingerprint scanner that's a big selling point for that particular USB drive. But in trying to be secure, it behaves like a rootkit -- and essentially creates a hidden directory that many antivirus programs apparently can't locate, providing a potential haven for malware.
Sony's also claiming that the drive is no longer sold, so it's not an ongoing problem. Which is a bit disingenuous, because it's certainly an ongoing problem to anyone who bought one...

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
Sony's also claiming that the drive is no longer sold, so it's not an ongoing problem. Which is a bit disingenuous, because it's certainly an ongoing problem to anyone who bought one...
Yeah... To use a grossly-unfair-but-still-accurate metaphor: "But, your honor, I haven't killed anyone since then..."

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk