Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
desperate plea for music identification
desperate plea for music identification
A few months back, I can't quite remember when, I was listening to my local public radio station when a segment on a music review came up. It highlighted a new (or new-ish) artist.
She's a white, young, female singer whose voice sounds almost as if it's going to crack but doesn't. Soft, but with conviction.
The song they played had lyrics that were almost like "I'm not a drunk but--" or something like that. I'm fairly certain it followed that "I'm a" or "I'm not a " pattern.
At any rate, this song was compared, or rather contrasted, to Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" in terms of content.
Yet her singing style reminded me more of Jenny Lewis's solo album "Rabbit Fur Coat." Kind of a folk/blues/alternative style.
She has a myspace page, which I visited, but I neglected to bookmark it and as I no longer remember her . . . well . . .
As to which program it was, I believe it was "All Things Considered," though it may have been "Fresh Air." As a long shot, perhaps "The World."
Sorry it's so little information but there you go. Any help appreciated.
-murmur
Re: desperate plea for music identification
I wish I could help, but it's not ringing any bells. I'd be interested in hearing her, though, if someone can figure out who she is.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Not ringing any bells here, either.
But how long ago did you visit her MySpace page? The link might still be in your brower's history list...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The only one that comes to mind is Jill Barber, but I'm not sure. Here's her mypage: www.myspace.com/jillbarbermusic and her site: www.jillbarber.com/ just in case.
not quite
It's close, very close. When Jill Barber goes deep it sounds much like the artist I'm thinking of, not because the unnamed artist has a deep voice but there's this resonant breaking point that's almost squeaky, almost hoarse at the same time.
Not really explaining it very well.
It's as if much of the pleasure of her voice comes from the anticipation of her voice cracking under the strain it's under . . . but it never does crack.
The style is very similar, though.
-murmur