Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AnchorFree Hotspot Shield
AnchorFree Hotspot Shield
I'm gonna be moving here in about a month, and I'm taking my laptop along on the road trip. I found this piece of software on a random webtrawl, and I was wondering if any of our IT and security folks had heard of it. Is it worth the time to download and install? Or is it a clever way to compromise exactly what they claim to protect? I've never heard of the company, and I haven't pulled up much on them in Google, so I'm hoping for some input.
The software is found here.
Thanks for your time!
-WFalling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes
Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home
Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head
Now everybody dancing the dance of the deadFalling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes

Now everybody dancing the dance of the dead
Re: AnchorFree Hotspot Shield
First of transmitting sensitive data over wireless is a dumb idea. Encryption is not going to fix that. Transmitting it over a public wireless hub is even less of a good idea.
That said using a VPN is generally a good idea from a security standpoint as long as you can be relatively sure that the VPN itself isn't compromised, because that can make the situation much worse. So it comes down to do you trust the company providing this service not to record you credit card information and passwords?
Also keep in mind that there is a performance penalty to using a VPN in both speed and latency, so don't try to play Quake/Doom/Starcraft/etc over the VPN.
As for this company in specific I have never heard of them.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
After reading their license, you do know that they will force adds on you?
I'd have to say this service is not worth using, but then again I don't access sensitive information over wireless. And if I had to I would use a trusted VPN, probably one set up by a friend or myself. (Well actually i would probably just use an ssh tunnel, but it's in effect the same thing just on a smaller scale.)
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
No, I hadn't realized it was ad-supported. Thanks for pointing that out. All in all, looks like it's not worth it then. Thanks!
-WFalling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes
Now everybody dancing the dance of the deadFalling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes

Now everybody dancing the dance of the dead