Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Transformers movie (game version)
New Transformers movie (game version)
I haven't plaed more than the tutorial stage yet, having only picked up my copy about three hours ago, but (even making the neccessary allowances for the fact that it IS a game adaptation) it already allays some of my worst fears about the re-imaging of the property (and if that phrase is not always a red flag in itself, I don't know what is) - The transformation physics are a lot less over-the-top than feared, Prime at least sounds and acts reasonably like the original and best, and whle the character designs are still hopelessly overcomplicated and Beast-Wars-y, with the characters in motion rather than publicity stills it's not as noticeable. More impressions will follow when I have a more comprehensive play experience.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Re: New Transformers movie (game version)
Which version of the game?--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
PSP version - and sad to say, while I extended it some credit for unfamiliarity at first, extended play reveals that the controls really do blow, the models and textures aren't even as good as mid to late PS1 titles, and the frame rate in any more populated map drops to the 10-12fps range. Fyrther, by 3/4 through the game there have been three timed missions where a single misstep will kill you, one where the route to the objective splits and the survivable fork is hard to notice, another where all you need to do is stand at a spawn point and kick (literally, one melee attack) the enemies a they spawn while your partner follows the scripted action, and I gave up on a literal race mission where as far as I can tell catching the quarry is impossible and the ass controlls and weak weapons meant drawing a bead on him is too difficult to be worth the effort to play.
It is quite literally the worst game I have ever played, and not even being Transformers can get over that - which is saying a lot, when I figured it up last weekend and determined that I've spent more on toys (only counting the ones currently in my possession!) than college tuition.
The first ever 1 rating in my 1-10 scale that formerly ran from 2-8, it's less good than Ishtar, Judge Brainitite, and Skysurfer Strike Force - combined
- CD
Avoid at all costs. SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Wow. I'm guessing the PSP version is very different from the NDS one.

I've got the DS Decepticon version, and I'm finding it really fun. The graphics, while not great, are really impressive for the DS, and I've noticed no slowdown in combat. The audio is holy crap impressive. Best use of audio I've seen on the DS, only comparable to Elite Beat Agents.
Probably my only complaint is that I've find the controls tricky, but that's mostly a ME problem, not the game. When I work them right, I do okay.
According to the internal prercent-meter, I'm about 40% of the way through the game, but I think that doesn't reflect how far throught the plot you are. I've done quite a bit in the game though.
I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars.

--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Who's up for some thread necromancy.... well I suppose I am.
I downloaded the PC demo and found that once I got over the French installer and ingame text & audio in English. I was semi-surprised that me 360 controller was autodetected as a few games don't do that.
Yet even with the 'troller, the controls sucked big time. Mostly down to the free-floating camera ends up pointing in directions away from the action. There does seem to be more melee attacks then just kicking, there's punching, flips and slamming which randomly occur after a kick combo & a number of button taps.
Gah, the game looks good and has some cutscenes that could've been in the movie, but this game just irked me on a level where I couldn't've cared less what mission or bonus I had to do next. I got up to the stop Barricade mish, attempted to complete it, failed x times, went nuts in free-roam (+5 cop heat), alt-F4'd and uninstalled it.
I then went off to play BF2142 instead.

Out of 5, it's a 1. Now I've some Tiberium to mine, some artifacts to Tomb Raid or some 5-0 to wake up in Oahu...
--Rod.H (whose game backlog is almost equal to his DVD one)