Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LotRO: Once again, I am driven away.
LotRO: Once again, I am driven away.
Good graphics/audio.
Excellent use of the LotR source material.
Interesting approach to giving us the same old classes and combat.
The Deeds (essentially CoH badges) and Attribute (essentially stat bonuses) elements were cool.
The PVP actually vaguely interested me.

The deal breaker? Forced Teaming. How many times do I have to say it? The moment you force me to team to get anywhere, I'm gone.
Sheesh.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Re: LotRO: Once again, I am driven away.
Huh, it seemed to me, and I could be wrong, that were really into City of Heroes but were sort of meh on WoW, which in my experience you can solo from 1 to 60 if you wanted to, and BC I did like 2 instance runs from 60 to 70, which was like 7-10 DAYS worth of play time. I have zero experience with CoH, does that have a lot of solo content? ---------------
-Jon
Leo (July 23-Aug. 22)
The population density of Wyoming is very low, but that doesn't mean the people there aren't also out to kill you.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
I can (and have) played from 1-50 doing my content 95% solo in CoH. Amazingly solo-friendly game.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
City of Heroes is probably THE most solo-friendly MMO on the market IMHO. They've even made it so that if you solo a mission that - with a team - would spawn an Arch-Villain, that Arch-Villain will instead spawn as an Elite Boss. Still a potent challenge for a single player, but not the instant death that trying to solo an AV would be. So yes - if you have the insane luck - (or misfortune) to get one of the signature villains like Ghost Widow or Black Scorpion in a safeguard mission and you're running it solo? You can have a chance at defeating them on your own. So yeah, like Jpub says, you can solo 95% of all content available.
Wow is almost as solo-friendly I think. MOST of the quests can be done solo. But if you're working a story-arc (not as obviously MARKED as story-arcs in COH. In WoW they're more commonly referred to by players as "chain-quests".) and you get to the last quest in the chain and it tells you you have to go into one of the instanced dungeons to get something? Yeah, you'll have to team. They don't tone down the enemies for you in the same way that COH does.
PVP is very team oriented in both games. Warriors (WoW) and Scrappers/Tankers/Brutes from CoH are melee nightmares for "squishies". But Warlocks and Rogues (WoW) absolutely OWN Warriors one-on-one. And Stalkers and anything wielding Radiation or Poison in COH/COV is just pure death. If you REALLY want to be successful in PVP in either game - you go with a team that can cover each other and their weaknesses and STICKS TOGETHER. (Easier done in WoW than in COH/COV when movement powers can have you halfway across a Zone in 10 seconds.)
But yeah, forced teaming... bleargh. I LIKE running with groups in both games, don't get me wrong. And if it's with people I've built a rapport with, it can so very much ROCK. But I HATE being told that I MUST team for a particular goal. It's worse on the rare occasion that it happens in City of Heroes than in World of Warcraft. It doesn't break the paradigm and expectations nearly so much in WoW for me as it does for COH. -Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------