Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squad Leader
Squad Leader
Anyone play these old boardgames? I've been getting back into them lately, SL, ASL, and more... looking for fellow enthusiasts. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Re: Squad Leader
God, I remember owning the Bughunter expansion - mostly because I liked the feel of it. I ended up playing solo games the entire time I owned it. But it was fun. ^_^
Wow, even checking with the Font of All Knowledge (aka Google) all I find are pages mentioning that the Bughunter expansion existed.
Seeing as how I never really did any wargames and started in on RPGs in the mid eighties I think of an entirely different game when Bughunters is mentioned. The TSR game for their short lived Amazing Engine system (an okay system, I'd love to see what a revised second edition would look like). The Amazing Engine game by the name of Bughunters was essentially a tale of cloned and enhanced human soldiers protecting humanity in an Aliens & Predators vs Alien-AIs universe.
The core Interesting Idea to the game system was that you had a simple set of core rules that you used to make a template for the type of character that you wanted to play. Each expansion then had rules specific to a particular expansion including what to do to flesh out that template to make a character specific to that setting. I seem to recall the rules suggested thinking of it as playing your characters various incarnations in alternate realities.
But back on subject, Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader was something I always thought would be interesting to pick up. But, the closest I ever got to wargaming was Battletech.
Although I did have fun playing the vehicles vs mechs game in which I took the vehicles, and proceeded to do massive damage to the mech players before lunch was over. Of course they cooperated in their beat down by not working together. Kinda said when the challenge is, "You can have a lance each, up to 300 tons, for every vehicle I field," in a game where the rules are stacked against anything other than mechs.
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Haha, that's the reason I bought it. I loved TSR's Alternity system and bought the ASL: Bughunter mostly to have a more robust combat system.
Let's just say that ASL rules are too robust. ^_^
They're actually shorter than Starfleet Battles, the other main competition for the title of "heaviest small-scale game around".
I didn't realize anyone had actually made rules to go sci-fi with it, though - WW2 was the main focus, of course, and I've seen people doing scenarios covering the Spanish Civil War and Korean War, but beyond that...--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.