Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raining, Pouring, Painting, Incompetence and Court Dates
Raining, Pouring, Painting, Incompetence and Court Dates
Interestingly enough, I just got the house painted.
Disturbingly enough, the work involved was not to the standards and practices specified in the contract, nor was it acceptable. Instead of pressure wash, sand and caulk and repair cracks, prime, paint, the procedure used was pressure wash, paint.
I have yet to hear from the company in question. If I cannot get in contact with them by end-of-day Thursday, I am considering pursuing a Small Claims Court case for the 1900$ I've paid.

I hope it doesn't go that far. I've got three venues to report on this company, and four venues to levy complaints (possibly five, if they piss me off enough (I'm easy to piss off), I'm considering taking out an opinion ad in the local paper).

Bleargh. I just wanted my damn house painted.
Any of you fine folks had positive or negative experiences with house painters?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Raining, Pouring, Painting, Incompetence and Court Dates
Well, my house's exterior is mostly either brick or vynil siding, so we don't really need that painted. Interiors, well, I'm usually drafted as one of the painters. 8P__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
Quote:
Any of you fine folks had positive or negative experiences with house painters?
The one time we had the house painted after we became homeowners, we hired a local handyman who'd done work for my mother-in-law, and he did a bang-up job. I've never had occasion to use an allegedly "professional" house-painting firm.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
I got my condo interior painted before I moved in. The lady who lived there before me had a pretty strong coffee on the walls, and I wanted an off-white.
I get the painter in, we decide on colours. I insist on a single coat, he thinks I'll need two.
After an hour, he comes to me and says the original color is showing through. I go look, and I see this wall which is basically mottled brown/white. I ask when he's going to finish the coat, and he says he has. I argue a single coat would actually cover 100% of the area.
Long story short, I end up having to pay an extra 30% to get the second coat. I then report him to the BBB, and I discover a short while later he was terminated by his superiors in the business.
Never got my money back.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Ummm...
Unless I'm missing something here, what made you think a single coat of off-white would cover a strong coffee color?
I know this, because I had to repaint my parents basement once and paint the walls in my apartment once. Both times it took at leats two coats to cover up a strong color (brown in one case, blue in the other) with a weaker color (white in both cases).
Unless you were defining "single coat" as "enough to block out all the brown" which, as far as I know, isn't the correct definition.
---------------
Epsilon
Amazing how when I painted a bedroom with the same color later, a single coat covered it admirably.
Apparently, my (and the industry's) definition of one coat, being a layer of paint covering the entire surface, does not match that guy's definition, which is a single pass of the roller.
From *my* definition, the walls the guy painted now have 1 coat of paint. From *his*, it has two.
From the fact that the BBB found my complaint justified, I think I was right.

Edit: I overstated the colour difference.
We went from EEE8AA.
To E4F0FF

(And there's something very wrong with me knowing the hex colour codes of my walls.)--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Hah, in the third world, we have loungers on the street.
Yeah, you have to watch them with a rifle but hey, just feed them and a little beer money and they're fine. ^_^