Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LJ Drama
LJ Drama
news.livejournal.com/9896...7#comments
community.livejournal.com...nce_jihad/
more links as the top entry at kokuten.livejournal.com
I am confused and pissy.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: LJ Drama
I've signed up for a Greatestjournal account. Don't really want to move there, but...--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
I don't believe I'll be renewing my paid. If I'm not pleased with 6a's solution to this, I'll be cancelling and just abandoning the whole concept.
news.com.com/Mass+deletio...87619.htmlWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I've been debating whether or not to give LiveJournal a shot for months now. Looks like they've decided for me.
Any developments on this overnight, btw?
ETA: Never mind -- just found this, with the headline "Well we really screwed this one up"
Looks like they're not backing down from the motive, but they're trying to have everyone who ought to be back back by noon Pacific time today. Berkowitz starts off admitting they messed up horribly and even bullet-points what they did wrong, then bullet-points what they're doing to try to fix it. And includes a miniFAQ at the end answering several of the more common questions, among which is explaining why they took so long to respond.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
don't be so hasty to provide credit for LJ, bob.
Barak there fucked up hardcore, then waited HOURS before posting anything at all.
And then he lied about his motivations. The reason this whole storm got started was because WFI, a bunch of high-grade hyperchristian nutjobs, threatened to tell LJ's advertisers that LJ was supporting pedophiles, unless LJ banned the following groups.. (include list of every community with 'incest' or 'rape' in it's interests, from LJ community baby_rapists, all the way over to, oh, let's see.. LJ community _RAINN_.)
this was more than an oops - this was a clear-cut case of blatant and utter stupidity at the highest levels of management, echoed all the way down the ranks, caused by a group of psychopathic extremist jacknuts.
I don't know if I can be a part of LJ after this fiasco.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I posted the above link before I read the responses. Berkowitz is being less than responsive to repeated questions by the userbase, usually repeating some variation on "we made a mistake", "you have valid points", and so on, without actually answering anything.
I'm giving LJ credit for realizing they just shot themselves in the foot and trying to undo the damage. But I don't like how Berkowitz is stonewalling on anything beyond his announcement.

-- Bob
---------
in excess of _TEN THOUSAND_ comments by LJ users and.. one piece of PR fluff from management.
that's.. interesting numbers.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
LJ gone catatonic for anyone else?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
There was an Icon someone posted on the second link that I thought was pretty amusing.
It read: "Fuck not with fandom, for Fandom fucks back, and you can forget about lube."
Another read: "Dear LJ: 1984 was not an instruction manual."__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
Dear god, fandom are an histrionic and unforgiving lot.
It's not an easy thing to stand up for the rights of people to post/support fantasies about performing sexual acts on imaginary children. Granting that I strongly believe people should be able to write whatever they want on livejournal, nonetheless this is a understandable situation.
In the end, this entire mess cost, what exactly? A day or two of ability to write in livejournals, for about 500 people, some of which actually were doing something reprehensible and illegal.
Comparisons to 1984 here are... simply ridiculous. Utterly so. Irresponsibly so. As for complaints about "waited hours"...
Is it not possible to accept that perhaps in this case acting hastily would have likely done more damage than hesitating to get a better sense of the situation and what best ought to be done about it?
God knows we can see just how forgiving and understanding many users and fans are of human error.
According to the Register, deleted groups have started coming back.
Just in case anyone still cared.

-- Bob
---------