Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blog entry on GalCiv - very funny.
blog entry on GalCiv - very funny.
www.computerandvideogames...0&site=pcgWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: blog entry on GalCiv - very funny.
I'm just annoyed that it seems to leave off at a cliffhanger. I would hope he'd eventually write the final chapter(s).

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
day 19: I won.
; )Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Day 19 is now up. ^.^
--Sam
"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog!"
bought GalCiv last night - I love me some civilization style game, and this one is a pretty good example of the species.
_VERY_ pretty, runs damn good on my machine (ymmv), the ship builder..
Lemme just say that the ship builder is like having _all_ the legos. It's not perfect, but boy is it fun.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Day 19 is now up. ^.^
Cool. Something to read tonighit.

-- Bob
---------
Day 20 is up, here's a quote I like.
Quote:
You know that word 'screwed' I used to use on this blog? I was using it all wrong. Back then I meant 'in trouble', or 'a tight spot'. This, this was the true meaning of screwed.
Okay, now I want to skip the rest of the work day just to see what he wrote.

-- Bob
---------
Final part is up, and it's a GREAT finale. I don't know if what he says was the Drengin motivation is the truth, but it rings oddly true.
Argh! I forgot to read that last night!

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
bought GalCiv last night - I love me some civilization style game, and this one is a pretty good example of the species.
_VERY_ pretty, runs damn good on my machine (ymmv), the ship builder..
Lemme just say that the ship builder is like having _all_ the legos. It's not perfect, but boy is it fun.
Bought it as well, and you're right, the builder is fun. I like having dedicated huge range scanner ships with fleets of fast and offensive ships to guard my borders, and few games give you so much flexibility when making custom units.
Another thing I really like is the fact that there are VERY varied ways to succeed. I'm playing a very fun game with now where I'm the mysterious civilisation in a corner with overwhelming technological advantage that no one dares offend.
It's so fun to give the "Plague Cure" to a plague victim in exchange of him going to war with everyone else, I'm pretty sure I only stay invincible because everyone else is too busy fighting to keep up with me.
Finally read it. I am so tempted to buy this game, but I need to sleep once in a while.

-- Bob
---------
I'm having a nice game right now where I'm Evil, and I'm a pacifist - until someone declares war on me, then I gen up a ship or two that's light-years ahead of anyone else, and just annihlate them until they cave.
I'm thinking I'm going to push this one until I've researched everything except technological victory, then just kill and kill and kill until the stars burn red with the blood of my enemies (which is everyone).
The ship designer is so pretty, I want a method of 3d-printing models from it. My current Warhauler (Mk2) looks like it's father was a malevolent trilobite, it's mother was a hedgehog, and they romanced each other in a barb wire factory. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
How the Kingdom of the Danes CONQUERED THE WORLD!!
Well, I'll confess that I actually wasn't all that compelled by GalCiv II - I prefer a more leisurely pace to my life, and while the way the AI races tend to force your hand in the game might be realistic enough, it's fairly antithetical to my notion of fun.
So I did something else.
Being an Account of the Reign of His Royal Highness, King Knud I, Part the First
In the closing months of the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eighty, the Kingdom of Denmark, for all its ambitions, is merely the most powerful of a squabbling tangle of small principalities stretching across northern Europe. In time, it will be a simple matter to bring to heel any and all of the false claimants to the Crown of the Midnight Sun, but the wealthier lands of the continental center and the British Isles - the English, French, Poles, and especially the Holy Roman Empire - may do so with equal ease, and, for the time being, are not so terribly mistaken to regard the Danes as merely another rebel goat to be eaten at leisure.
Avoiding this threat will require swift and precipitous action. Fortunately, we have now at arms sufficient troops to mount a worthy assault upon any city in the world... leaving only the question of where.
Hamburgers speak German, and the Holy Roman Empire has long been known to have designs on the province. While the Empire's grandiose claims and ambitions cannot help but ultimately conflict with Denmark's, the moment for a direct confrontation will not come for some time.
The broad, wild lands bordering the North and Baltic seas are rich in resources and, in time, will likely prove the core of Danish power, but for now they are only sparsely settled, and all too likely to prove a drain on the Crown's resources rather than a boon.
Between English claims and Danish holdings, however, lie the wealthy but bitterly divided lands of the Low Countries, with their complex web of internal power-fueds centering around the twin fortified cities of Antwerp and Bruge.
With the latest war in the area only just concluded, the moment is ripe, and His Majesty accordingly marshalls the forces of the crown and bids his son, Prince Charles, to break these wild horses to harness.
When, after seven years of travel, the Danish forces at last come to stand beneath the walls of Antwerp, the rulers of that city, being brave but over-certain of their own power, sally forth to drive the invaders from their lands - and are shattered on the field and harried back to their homes, such that Danish blades follow them to their homes and win free their treasure for the benefit of the Crown and its people. A mere month passes before the Great Army is once again on the march, down the road to Bruge, which falls quickly in like manner.
The conclusion of a treaty of peace with the Holy Roman Empire in the intervening years before the arrival of this fortunate news shall be of great value to the Kingdom. While it is without doubt that the German lack of fealty shall tell in the end, the fear of the displeasure of His Holiness the Pope and the Lord Almighty God shall likely stay their hand a while - and win us the time we need.

Breaking character for a moment, what the hell is up with the travel times in this game? Four years to sail, what, a hundred miles? No way!
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Evil and Pacifist
I'm trying that right now, but the fools won't just leave me alone!
BTW, is there anyway to make a fighter/carrier ship? You can make them into a fleet, but that defeats the intent.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Evil and Pacifist
Nope, no carriers. Stardock deliberately left them out.
The official reasoning.

--
Some days violence is just a nice quick solution to a problem that
would need thought, planning and actual work to do justice to.
-- Wayne Pascoe
The only problem with this game... and any other now that I think of it, is that you can do things that other players would not let you do.
Kind of like yesterday when the AI let me place my custom built backstabber and ally invader class ships all over his territory.
Re: How the Kingdom of the Danes CONQUERED THE WORLD!!
Being an Account of the Reign of His Royal Highness, King Knud I, Part the Second
The years following the conquest of the Low Countries see the installation therin of a civilized infrastructure, including roads, ports, and a network of garrisoned watchposts to suppress banditry, and from these efforts provide the Crown with the funds to replace the personal guards of the nobility and the broad levies of freemen with a corps of professional warriors truly loyal to the Kingdom, rather than their own interests or those of their patrons. From the newly-completed royal castle at Arhus, these men of the royal house prove capable of accomplishing with ease the successive conquests of the Stettin coast in 1108, Riga in 1112, and the rebel norse tribes of Helsinki in 1118.
While this seaborn campaign is a triumphant success, and brings the independant principalities along European side of the Baltic firmly under Danish control, the news from the south is less warming. After a cursory attempt at extortion, the Holy Roman Empire has betrayed its word and its name with a declaration of open war!

Three years per turn? That makes me twitch so badly...
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
Re: How the Kingdom of the Danes CONQUERED THE WORLD!!
Quote:
Three years per turn? That makes me twitch so badly...
?!? Shouldn't that be the other way round?__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
Quote:
Kind of like yesterday when the AI let me place my custom built backstabber and ally invader class ships all over his territory.
As one of the many people this article got to buy the game, I *did* have an enemy once realize that I was getting set up to invade them. (And in fact, it made a comment about how maybe from playing other games, I'd think it wouldn't notice...)
I think for the others, my ships were just all massing outside of their sensor range. And friendly civs don't seem to mind too much if ships are just passing through their space.
Now, the problem I've seen so far is that the AI isn't very good at choosing planetary improvements effectively. The altairians in the game I'm playing now have much more powerful ships than I do, but they don't have their production focused enough to nearly keep up with me, getting a new fleet every few turns.
Hopefully the AI at higher levels does a better job of this.
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Well from what I have read and seen of the AI I'm fairly impressed, You need to remember that until th third highest dificulty the AI isn't at full smarts plus they tend to get massive penalties to their economy. It's only at the two highest levels that the AI actually cheats, and that is just a boost to their economy rating.
Then again I am studieng AI, so I'm more easily impressed than a layperson. This kind of things does make me wish they explain their algorithms, but sadly few companies do that.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
(And in fact, it made a comment about how maybe from playing other games, I'd think it wouldn't notice...)
Quite true, I continued playing that game since then and the Drengin commented that "That kind of tactics are just embarrassing both of us, did you really think I wouldn't notice? Now, if my generals were set to intelligent or better, we'd actually do something about it, but we're not. But believe me, I know what you're doing."
And from there, my relations with the Drengin plummeted really fast.
I think what it told me was that it knew it couldn't do anything about it (since my military was *much* larger than theirs), but wanted me to know that it knew.
There do seem to be quite a lot of meta-references and stuff in the game though.
-Morgan.
"Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
am playing single player, got started in one mission with three planets, Locke, Celes, and some other one I didn't recognize.
_you_ tell me these guys ain't cool.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
That depends
Quote:
I think what it told me was that it knew it couldn't do anything about it (since my military was *much* larger than theirs), but wanted me to know that it knew.
It depends on how close your military power is to yours...if you have 1.5 times the military they have, he Dregnin will make those sarcastic remarks....Any greater power you have and they'll shut up.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell