Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negima Dubs
Negima Dubs
So I just finally got my hands on disk one of the Funimation dub of Mahou Sensei Negima, and watched about an episode and a half last night (after which Peggy fell asleep). I was quite pleasantly surprised. I've heard all manner of complaints about Funimation, but based on what I saw, they've gone quite a good job here. The voice cast is all quite good -- they've got a few familiar names from ADV, such as Monica Rial and Luci Christian, who of course are always good, but the folks I don't know also turned in very good performances.
And my hat's off to the folks who wrote the dub script. Whoever they were, they appear to have enjoyed themselves while translating the spirit of much of the dialog without using the exact words -- the trash-talk between Ayaka and Asuna in the first episode, for instance, is nothing like I remember seeing in the fansubs, but works beautifully.
Of course, I'm basing all this praise on 45 minutes' watching -- I could get ambushed by a sudden drop of quality later in the series. But I was just so impressed with what I've seen already that I had to tell folks.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: Negima Dubs
"Drop in quality" sums up both series quite nicely.
There is no animated Negima. It's dead to me.
--Sam
"On your knees, vodka zombie!"
When I said "drop in quality", I am referring solely to the English-language performance. I've watched the whole series, such as it is, and am well aware of the semi-random ending they hastily stitched onto it when the show was cancelled. I've warned my wife about it as well, and suggested that if she really gets interested in the story and characters, she would be better served to trot down the hall to our library and grab the manga off the shelf where it sits.
All I wanted to say was that I was surprised and pleased by what I've seen of the English dub. Funimation doesn't have the best rep, but so far, they're doing well by Negima.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Well, OK then Smile
Fair warning: the second series, visually awesome though it is, goes off the plot rails after the second or third episode. Sad
--Sam
"Why am I here? Why does my mind have wings? Why do blue midgets hit me with fish?!"