Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone read this book?
Has anyone read this book?
The book is called
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The Sun Kings:
The Unexpected Tragedy of Richard Carrington and the Tale of How Modern Astronomy Began
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
/QUOTE/
In September of 1859, the entire Earth was engulfed in a gigantic cloud of seething gas, and a blood-red aurora erupted across the planet from the poles to the tropics. Around the world, telegraph systems crashed, machines burst into flames, and electric shocks rendered operators unconscious. Compasses and other sensitive instruments reeled as if struck by a massive magnetic fist. For the first time, people began to suspect that the Earth was not isolated from the rest of the universe. However, nobody knew what could have released such strange forces upon the Earth--nobody, that is, except the amateur English astronomer Richard Carrington.
/ENDQUOTE/
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this book or if it was worth going through the trouble of trying to find it on inter-library loan.
howard melton
God bless
Re: Has anyone read this book?
Oh, it's from Princeton University Press. I've never gotten a loser from them, at least not in the pop science area. The descriptions look evocative -- I'd probably buy this if I came across it.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Re: Has anyone read this book?
Thanks Bob
Sorry I knew the publisher, just forgot to include it in the description and I've also had good results with thier books but...
/QUOTE/
The descriptions look evocative -- I'd probably buy this if I came across it.
/ENDQUOTE/
The evocative description is what has bothered me slightly.
I've seen such descriptions before and been burned by them.
For me it looks like one of those books I'd pick up read the front and back cover and then spend 15 to 30 minutes paging through it reading random pages to decide.

howard melton
God bless
Re: Re: Has anyone read this book?
Quote:
I've seen such descriptions before and been burned by them.
Mm. Yeah. But like I said, it's PUP. They're not given to suffering from "better trailer than movie" syndrome.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.