Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embrace the future (and the past ten years)
Embrace the future (and the past ten years)
So there I was, browsing the DW forums on my PDA (which I use for the greater portion of my e-book/fanfiction reading pleasure), when it happened: DW5 chapter 3 was released. Palms began to sweat; excitement filled the air. I scrambled for my stylus and tapped the link with bated breath.
It was completely unreadable.
Characters were strewn hither, thither, and yon. Lines divided in places unintelligible. Vast swaths of color obscuring text left and right (but mostly left). And the font... dear god, the hideous fixed-width font....

Well. Enough melodrama.

The sixty-five character per line thing was great when Pine and Lynx were the epitome of internet clients, but times change. Eighty-column fixed-width is no longer the lowest common denominator. In fact, there may be no lowest common denominator -- devices with web browsers keep getting smaller and smaller. (One might assume, however, that a cellphone with a 160x128 screen is the absolute smallest that anyone remotely rational would even attempt to use.) And since every web browser on the planet is capable of reflowing text to fit the screen, there's no longer any excuse for forcing fixed-width on a web page.
The 1600x5 background image (which looks kinda hokey when it repeats horizontally for those of us with monitors larger than 1600 pixels wide) renders text illegible when small-screen browsers unfold tables to make them easier to read, resulting in the black text overlapping the dark green swath. Sure, we could hunt through the menus for the option to disable images (and thus rendering links unusable), but we shouldn't have to -- particularly since it would be trivial to replace it by slapping a background color onto the table which holds the link images. The 1000 pixel wide GIF containing nothing but heavily-aliased white text on green background isn't quite so much of an issue, but it could still be cleaned up in much the same way.

Ergh... cutting off now before I go into a rant against anything and everything arbitrarily fixed-width on the World Wide Web. I guess I just finally hit critical mass on the issue. (o/~ Wide screen on the desktop, small screen in my hand / here i am, stuck in the middle with you. o/~ )
Re: Embrace the future (and the past ten years)
I know how you feel, and I have strong objections to using images to convey text at any rate, but wouldn't this sort of thing go better under the website forum?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Huh... didn't know there was one. Must have filtered it out along with all the webnoise, like terms-of-service pages and test-post forums.
Oh well... feel free to move if need be.
I'll do that.
There are several reasons I write in 65-column plain text, Xeno. One is that I still use the FFML, which is a plain-text venue. Likewise RAAC. Yeah, as an author I like having real italics and other typographic niceties, but for the most part the medium I'm working in doesn't have them.
Another is that I do a lot of writing during slack times at work, and it's easier to hide a text editor in plain sight on my screen than it is a web page designer or a copy of Microsoft Word.

-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
On The Other Hand
I will admit that my website as a whole needs an overhaul. Thanks to the Netcarrier takeover of Eclipse several years ago, I have nonfunctioning counters; the banners, as you've noted, are crude; and I've never been able to reproduce the look of the navigational buttons twice in a row. It would be nice to scrap everything and come up with a good design that works with modern browsers and all. (And would let me incorporate the currently stillborn Legendary site as well.)
A few times over the past ten years I've toyed with website/page editors, including the one in Mozilla, but the learning curve is so steep compared to hand-coding basic HTML that I've not had the patience to learn them. (And besides, I'm too much of a detail-tweaker to care for the obfuscated page code that they invariably produced.)
However, if someone can make a recommendation for a good site design program/system that doesn't cost a lot and doesn't have a nasty learning curve, I'd happily give it a look. Better yet, if someone out there who has a better grasp of webpage design principles than I do would like to throw together a template for a new look for the site, I'd happily look at that, too...
-- Bob
---------
Re: On The Other Hand
I have a friend who does a really nice job designing websites for people, but she charges fro her work. That's not to say she charges a ridiculous amount though. She's pretty fair about it. Interested?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

If you can get me a ballpark figure, I can give you an answer.
-- Bob
---------
In the meantime, if you just want a fast and simple unwrapped version of the stories, you could take the stuff between the pre tags and run it through Markdown , which seems to unwrap everything quite well without messing anything else up that I've noticed. (I actually tested by running DW5-3 through BlueCloth, a ruby implementation of the same thing.)
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
Is that a suggestion for someone other than me, Morganni? 'Cause I can't see what that's supposed to do for me if it isn't.
-- Bob
---------
It's a way that occurred to me that Xenoproctologist could make a copy of the story that would be easier to read on his PDA without a lot of manual editing.
Or at least, the output *I* got when I did that to a copy of DW5-3 looked like what it sounded to me like he wanted.
-Morgan."I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
It's been done before -- I know Offsides keeps (or kept) the entire UF corpora plus DW on his handheld.
-- Bob
---------