Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I don't share my personal information on the Net
Why I don't share my personal information on the Net
I recall some folks wondering why I don't put personal details, including my photo, on the 'Net. This is one reason.

CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... 80122.html]Real, live firefighter finds himself 'dead' on the web
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Er, what does this have to with that?

This guy agreed to have his picture taken, in real life and signed a model release for no compensation.

His photo then ended up in an image "stock photo" providers pay-library.

Its not like they ripped his photo off his myspace page.

If that were the case, he could actually sue :-)
Re: Why I don't share my personal information on the Net
According to the radio news item, he signed a release believing the photo was for city use only.

I don't know whether he didn't read the release or the photo was used beyond the permission granted by the release, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter. It's the whole "ripped his photo off his myspace page" phenomenon that I'm worried about. What if it was my photo on that Onion article? What would my family think? It's not worth the emotional turmoil...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

No, I'm afraid I don't buy this or have any sympathy for him. He didn't read his release form and his picture ended up in a joke article on a joke
website. I don't see the problem other than somebody making a stink over something that was his own fault. The Onion, as a legitimate company, paid for the
right to use that picture. If you're concerned, make sure you read exactly what rights you're giving someone if you're in a similar position.