Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batman -- Anime!
Batman -- Anime!
Well, not strictly speaking. But coming out on DVD this summer will be a special DC project -- six anime directors will be doing their takes on Batman, overseen by Bruce Timm and other folks who've generally done well in managing the animated side of the DC Universe.

sneak preview here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Vid removed for TOS violation, darnit.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Is the sneak peek the video embedded here?

--The Twisted One
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire

Oh gee. The Bat. Again. And again.

How about some other heroes like Green Lantern, Flash, wonder Woman, Supergirl, or myabe evn Superman
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Why Batman again?
It's a function of how we see the world and therefore our we see our heores and myths. Everyone of the heroes you mentioned are more or less defined by a
single power. Batman on the other hand has no powers and thus can be changed to fit the times.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Superman and Supergirl?

Superman waned massivley after 1986.

I might have bought your argument, save that there are two characters in Japan that have been brought back and redfined.

Akira Fudo and Honey Kisarigi
--------------------

Of the DC Heroes you mentioned on of them is going to be releasing a massive multi-million dollar movie this year. A massive multi-million dollar movie which
is a sequel to a massive successful multi-million dollar movie.

In other words, this series is like the Ani-matrix in more ways than one. It essentially a massive advertisement for the upcoming film.

-----------------

Epsilon

There's nothing wrong with Batman Anime being like the Animatrix. It all depends on how you look at it.

You can be cynical and call it all commercial marketing...which the use of the word 'advertisement' would seem to imply; it exists merely to sell a
product. But that's not entirely fair, because a good deal of genuinely popular...well, pop culture...has emerged from the blunt desire to sell stuff. The
Transformers, f'instance, was just a cartoon made to sell repackaged Japanese toys in America. Heck, the increasing proliferation of superhero movies and
cartoons is in general comic book companies leveraging their properties, realising there's more money to be made than just in comic books. But that
doesn't mean its bad.

It isn't just about the money. This stuff wouldn't sell if someone wasn't buying it. So there's an audience, and an audience that demands more.
There's also a point to be made about convergence culture. Things are rarely contained within a single medium these days. A popular novel spawns movies, TV
shows, and video games - that's an increasing trend, and one that can't entirely be attributed to commercial interests.

The Matrix in particular...the creators claimed they were deliberately trying to create a narrative and world stretching across mediums - movies, games, comic
books. How successful they were is a different story, but that was their stated artistic intent. Obviously that's gotta be taken with a grain of salt,
since nobody's gonna come out and say we're just making stuff in the hopes you'll buy it and fill our wallets...but I don't wanna dismiss the
idea entirely. Convergence culture exists, there's a trend towards it, and there's nothing wrong with exploring the boundaries and linkages.

I mean, I'd suggest that in trying to make Batman anime, the folks at DC are trying to capitalize on the popularity of Japanese animation and penetrate
different markets. It could be the same sort of thing that's driving Marvel to make an X-Men Shoujo Manga. There's probably some element of calculation
there. And as Epsilon said, it could be cross-promotion with an upcoming movie. But that doesn't mean that it still isn't genuinely a creative
and artistic experiment.

And it could be cool.

-- Acyl

Quote: ShinDangaioh wrote:

Superman and Supergirl?

Superman waned massivley after 1986.

I might have bought your argument, save that there are two characters in Japan that have been brought back and redfined.

Akira Fudo and Honey Kisarigi

We're talking about american heroes though. Superman was and is a hero of the light. Batman is a hero of the shadows. Considering our world
today, it's not surprising Batman resonates more in our culture.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It can't be any worse than Identity Crisis.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

DON'T SAY THAT!!!

They will find a way to make things worse than Stupidity Crisis if you keep saying stuff like that.
--------------------

I wasn't condemning it as a commercial advertisement. I was explaining why it was a Batman anime* project rather than a Green Lantern or Wonder Woman one.

If and when we see a massively successful mulit-million dollar Wonder Woman movie that is coming out with a multi-million dollar sequel we may well see a
Wonder Woman anime* project.

*And by "anime" I mean of course using various Japanese directors but keeping all the creative control firmly in the hands of Western people. Just
like the Ani-matirx.

-------------------

Epsilon

Quote: Is the sneak peek the video embedded here?
Yes, that's the same one, though in a smaller format and different aspect ratio.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.