Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SF Movie Quote - vote early, vote often...
Best SF Movie Quote - vote early, vote often...
The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29 ... uote_poll/]Vote now for your fave sci-fi movie quote

They've got 42 ("42? Well, if you have to ask, you're in the wrong place...") choices up, and more than a few of them are actually memorable quotes.

After you vote, you get to see the current standings. The quote I just voted for is at #8 in the rankings as of this posting...

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hm. I'm on the #1 bandwagon... though if I'd noticed the 5th Element quote on my first pass I might well have gone for that, instead.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

#3. Because I once made a poster of an ICBM launch, with the caption, "The only rapid deployment force America really needs." And
another poster of a nuclear detonation with the words, "When all else fails ... go for the gusto."

Edit to clarify: when I said #3, I referred not to its position on the ballot, but its ranking in the poll. Confusing of me, mea culpa. On the
ballot, what I voted for is #2.

(Nuke 'em 'til they mutate, then call in an Inquisitor to decree "Exterminatus" on 'em for being mutants.)
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Best SF Movie Quote - vote early, vote often...
#1 for me but I came close to choosing #2.

I voted for "My God, It's Full Of Stars". Because it's a memorable line, a sci-fish line, an original line, and an immediately recognisable
line even to people who haven't seen where it comes from. I didn't see any others that I felt met the same criteria.

It seems my opinion isn't widely shared, though. Ah well. ;p

#2. It's the only way to be sure.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Why do you people deny the truth? Soylent Green Is PEOPLE!!
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Voting again, I see my choice ("Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!") is up to #5... but it's so far behind #1 and #2 that it isn't funny. Ah, well...
--
Rob Kelk

Heh, I can't see why "Roads? Where we're going we don't need... roads" can be beat. Even if it is last atm......

Sadly, they don't have some of the best quotes. They have a Ghostbusters, for instance, but it's not the 'god' one.
(DISCLAIMER: The Internet is a medium for the exchange of ideas. Thoughts and concepts are shared there. It is possible that people who use it may begin thinking about things they never did before. If this idea disgusts, frightens, or revolts you, please refrain from using the Internet in any way, shape, or form.)

So, what quotes did they miss? Shall we make a little list...?

"If someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!" (Venkman, Ghostbusters)

"That's no moon." (Obi-wan, Star Wars)

"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. " (Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back)

"*I* don't know. Fly casual. " (Han Solo, The Return of the Jedi)

"There is no spoon. " ("spoon boy", The Matrix)

"This means something. This is important. " (Roy, Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

--
Rob Kelk

RE: So, what quotes did they miss? Shall we make a little list...?
I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it. (Klaatu, The Day the Earth Stood Still)

My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it! (Dr. Morbius, Forbidden Planet)

"May the Schwartz be with you!" (Yogurt, Spaceballs)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!" (Han Solo, The Empire Strikes Back)

"Game over man, game over." (Hudson, Aliens)