Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Dare
Dan Dare
A few days ago, I happened to see that there was a Dan Dare comic on the shelf of my local comic store. Flipped through it and it looked good, but issue #4 and
I don't like not seeing the beginning of a story. So I went off and checked online to see if the older issues were available and apparently they're
sold out. Ho hum. Went back to the store yesterday and noticed another Dan Dare cover among the older comics. Variant cover? No. Every issue was there.

It's damn good. Mekon's back - fearsome as ever. The Royal Navy needs a legend if they're going to win so the Prime Minister asks Dare to come out
of retirement to take command of the fleet. Space combat, superweapons, infantry forming a square against infantry hordes...

Dare: You have a problem you think I can help you with?

Prime Minister: Exactly.

Dare: Well, let's see what we can do: you've been having trouble resigning, haven't you?

Prime Minister: What?

Dare: You're on your - what, third or fourth attempt, right? You keep promising but you just can't seem to bring it off.

Dare: The thing to bear in mind regarding the Mekon, Ms Christian, is that the impossible means nothing to him at all. He's three hundred years old,
he's been accomplishing it on almost a daily basis.

Sublieutenant Christian: But... we're talking about the point of singularity at which existence itself implodes...

Dare: We're talking about a little green demon with a brain bigger than God's.

Mekon (on Dare): Willful. One of the qualties I look forward to excising from him.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.

Well damn. Is this "classic-ish" Dan, I hope, and not like some of the more recent stuff?

(No, I'm not British, but I do have a falling-apart copy of the collected "The Man From Nowhere" on my bookshelf. [Image: smile.gif] )

--Sam

"Maya maya ma-dah... Colonel Dan, where are ya?"
Dan Dare
Classic Dan Dare, although set a few years (and some signifcant events) since the original comics.

Short version is that the International Space Force fell apart and Dan retired. Digby went into the Royal Navy and Professor Peabody worked for the British
Government first as a scientific advisor and then as a cabinet minister.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.