Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why JRPGs....
Why JRPGs....
Why must you irk me so......

Well, they do. I mean since I've acquired a first-gen PSP, when I'm not playing Socom, Ridge Racer or Lumens. I can be found toiling away with Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II or (a recent score for me) Sakura Taisen 1+2.
Now the FFs ain't bad as the only previous FF series experience I'd had was with the PC demo of FF7 eons ago. That and pretty much every non-D&D RPG I've played uses a knockoff FF UI. Also the PSP ports of FF let you mess with peeps by the not so hidden option of using Japaneses text instead of English.
But I think most of us would use the other latin character set based language built into the game instead. I think it's French.

Valkyrie Profile on the other hand, nice graphics, decent gameplay, great sound, Odin's a perv, nice pre-rendered cut scenes pity you can't skip any of them! The first thing anyone should once you start the game is put the PSP down rig up something to tap a button every so often and come back in an hour or less. That's how long it takes to just get at the meat of the game. Not fun when you must do that umpteen hundred times, at different difficulty levels just to unlock all the goodies.....

Then we come to Sakura Taisen 1+2, not a bad game. Pity there's no english port, cause it's all in japanese. At least there are some translations & walkthroughs on-line to help us nihongo deprived muddle through. However, besides the language grip, my biggest irk with the game is: why do they use the circle button for the enter key, instead of the cross button. I drives me bonkers for a bit after playing and I'm using the PSP for something else and each time I hit enter, I'm hitting escape/cancel/no instead.

Meh, I suppose when you get down to it, it almost as annoying as a PSP with a malfunctioning D-pad, of which mine is currently afflicted with (hit down and end up 50% chance of going right, 30% chance of going down, 20% chance of going left). But that's an easily rectified mechanical fault, everything else is down to the code.

--Rod.H
This has been another Rod.H stream of ramble

In Japan, Circle is always the confirm button, and X is the deny button. Most games (with the exception of stuff by Konami) get those buttons switched as part
of their localizations.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Have you tried *watching* the cutscenes? I don't know why people get so uptight about that. I enjoy them every time.

Quote: jpub wrote:

Have you tried *watching* the cutscenes? I don't know why people get so uptight about that. I enjoy them every time.

The first two or three time I did watch 'em, and I don't mind some of the later ones. It's just the start of game ones that really bug me to the
point of considering of making a save point at the start for each difficulty level, just to skip 'em. Lets put it another way, it's like starting a
race at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, in which the only time you get to control the car is when it's entering the pits and the last lap - in last place of
a 20 car field, at Karussell corner, in a stock 60s VW Beetle and everyone else is in 2007 911 GT3s - and at all other times your duct taped to the roof.