Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.I.P. Janet Kagan
R.I.P. Janet Kagan
Janet Kagan passed away on Saturday. She was the Hugo-winning author of Uhuru's Song, Hellspark and Mirabile. She was also a wonderful lady that I had the privilege of meeting
many years ago at one of the early Contexts here in Columbus, and I'll miss her a lot. I'd always hoped I'd get to read more works by her. If you
ever have the chance to pick up her stuff, do so. It's great. For the Fenspace folk...she's the one responsible for the Jason's professional name -
from the Mirabile stories.

*raises a toast* To Janet Kagan, extraordinary writer, and to Tailkinker to-Ennien, Tocohl Susumo, and Annie Jason Masmajean, three wonderful heroines about
whom I wish we could've read more. Sail with the 'Sparks, Janet.

Omigod... I read Uhuru's Song many many years ago. It was one of the best Trek novels ever. Right up there with "The Final Reflection" and
"How Much For Just The Planet" in my opinion, though for different reasons.

*Head bowed*

I must hie myself to the used bookstore and track down a new/old copy of that book and other stuff she's written. What better way to pay tribute?

I never read Mirabile, but the other two are among my favorites (ever have a book you start reading on a slow evening, and end up staying up all night
to finish it in one sitting?) And then she wins a Hugo for something else entirely.

Here's a link with some information about her passing, posted by Michael Swanwick.

Another one who will be missed.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia