Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucky Star - first R1 DVD
Lucky Star - first R1 DVD
It's out, if you pre-ordered it from Right Stuf. For anybody who hasn't seen the fansubs, the show's sort-of like Azumanga Daioh with innunendo and an otaku lead character. This is about http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 8559/4/0/0]the Bandai Entertainment DVD, not the series.

There are four episodes on the first DVD. (Which is a shame, because the show really starts getting interesting in episode 5, IMHO.)

The songs on the dub track are the original Japanese songs, by the Japanese seiyuu. Ah, well. Probably for the best...

The dub voices are competent - not grating, but not noteworthy. No obvious bobbles in what I heard of the first disc's performances, but I didn't listen to all of the episodes' dubs. Akira's dub voice is sufficiently "bipolar" for my tastes. Wendee Lee plays Konata, so it's possible we might get the "Konata adores Haruhi's-and-her-own voice actress" jokes localized. Amazingly, they left the Japanese honorfics in the dub.

Translation notes (including a few I didn't see listed in the show's http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=7222]animenewsnetwork.com encyclopedia entry) are in a four-page insert, not on the DVD itself. Good for buyers, not so good for those watching via Netflix or similiar services.

The deluxe box is similiar in construction and quality to the Haruhi deluxe box. Besides the DVD, it has two CD-singles (the opening theme and the Konata image disc), an XL-size t-shirt with a silkscreen of the girls' winter uniform, and a "screen wipe" (whatever that is) with a picture of a choco-cornet printed on it.

Okay, I lied - one comment about the series. There's a decidedly-not-http://eyevocal.ottawa-anime.org/beingupfront/]Upfront bit in episode 4, at about time index 1:20:45-1:21:15. So now we know: The opposite of "http://www.moonie.ca/glenap/goofy/talent.html]talent" is "valuable".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

That's quite a lead time, given that the site says May 6...

Looks like it's quite a box set. Though I think I'd be embarassed to wear a shirt like that even in female form. (Wear the uniform, no problem. The
shirt... o.O ) I wish Bandai's SEs weren't so expensive though. (At least I managed to get the rest of Haruhi during the 40% off sale.)

Translation notes.

Quote: That's quite a lead time, given that the site says May 6...
The local brick-and-mortar anime store is expecting their copies in late this week. Looks like Bandai managed to beat its own street date.
Quote:I don't suppose they explain what "Around 3 cm" is supposed to mean? '.';;
It's a little over an inch... Oh, that isn't what you meant? 8)

They don't explain it, no. I think you have to go by context here, and the context seems to be it's something inside a school uniform. Which makes the reference ecchi...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Are people still wondering about the 3 cm bit?

I thought that had been cleared up.

Or are you wondering if they explained it to people who HAVEN'T been through this song and dance already?
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead

Maybe it's cleared up if you read certain message boards.

I, however, read other, entirely different, message boards. '.'

(And after finding something else that explained "catch and release" during another search, it being ecchi doesn't surprise me at all...)

-Morgan.

'About 3cm' is a reference to the gap between a stocking and the hem of a skirt.

Generally referred to as, no lie, 'Absolute Territory.'
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead