Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On traffic regulation
On traffic regulation
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/traffic

posted here for discussion, also to archive it for later arguing purposes.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Um yeah, that article's pretty much connecting to Jeremy Clarksons' theory that speed cameras don't stop accidents, they cause 'em due to
increased driver distraction.

Still a 4-way stop intersection's just asking for trouble. Yeld/giveway, traffic lights & roundaouts exist for a reason. At least down here most signed
intersections also have graphic line markings indicating what you should do. Yet although we've sensible speed limit signage, there are still some places
where on one road the speed limit dramatically changes over a few hundred meters.

Also down here, in my state the major traffic accident prevention bodies major advertising tagline is: 'Speed kills'. It's a tagline broadly posted
around the state, ads on public transport, roadside billboards - urban & in the middle of nowhere, police vehicles , sponsorship signage at sporting
events, etc. Now they do use other taglines and yes, speeding can kill, but isn't the sudden stop the real thing we should be worried 'bout? Most of
the accidents I've seen covered by the media don't have speed as the major factor, just as an element. The major factors I've noticed are road
design ("Oh look a big tree right beside the road, and there another...." "hmm, what's behind that corner, why it's an
intersection/driveway/sign" "What do you mean water's got to run off it, it hasn't rained in months"), driver contempancy ("Hi,
I'm here to trade in my 2CV for that Viper" "I wonder if my jacked up Tacoma can drift") driver fatigue/boredom and driver intoxication.

I can well and truly believe that driver fatigue/boredom can be a major factor as I've done a trip where 300kms was done on a road like an interstate at
100-110 kph (the max legal speed limit) and I had to stop for a rest break a few times as I was almost drifting off to sleep and a thereafter dirt nap in the
aforementioned trees (that's if a semi didn't get me first). But previously on this trip, I did 100kms on a very quiet twisty & hilly single
carriageway in each direction at speeds topping ~140 kph (100kph limit) with no snoozing issues. Now doing those speeds isn't something I'd do lightly
again -cos it's a major licence revoking thing - but something I'd contemplate if the conditions are right :- remote location, decent road, no traffic,
zero police and daylight. Why daylight, cos that 100 kms of very quiet twisty & hilly road was done at night and that road's got some interesting blind
bends & gradient changes. Just the type of road to keep you awake and focused, on something other then the trees. Oh and the valley that road follows a
wall of like a contour line.

--Rod.H