Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I get a do-over?
Can I get a do-over?
Managed to rear-end someone today. My car has nasty damage (which could mean the insurer writes it off, and I still owe $2k), I had to pay a $100 ticket, and
now I'm carless.

So, now I have to pay to rent a car (since my insurance doesn't cover Loss of Use, even though I thought it did), because if I don't I can't take
care of my Dad's cat properly. Probably have to pay for a cab too.

*Sigh* Today sucks epically.

it's not a fix, but once you've got wheels again, see about taking a Defensive Driving Course, to reduce the impact on your license and insurance - I
did, after ten years of driving, and managed to learn some stuff, too!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Doesn't work like that here, unfortunately. Sask's No Fault and point-based system ghrants you nothing for taking those courses.

Geeze, that sucks bigtime. Sorry to hear it, Chris, and I hope it resolves better than it looks to right now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

So, I've been talking to a friend who owns a car dealership, and he tells me I want to get my car written off.

Now, this sounds bizarre to me, but he explains.

I bought my car (2003 Mits Galant ES) for $14k. Average price for ones with similar milage (65k) is over $10k.

Since write-off price is based on *replacement* cost, not Blue Book (well, in Canuckia it's called the Black Book) value, I'd get about $10k. Given I
still owe $2k on my car, I can pay that off and get a 'newer' used car (probably a 2007 compact or 'intermediate') for $15-18k, meaning
although I'd still have to pay a monthly payment (and not be done with it as I would be in March), I'd get away with a *far* lower payment, and likely
superior gas milage (since the Galant does about 19mpg in city).

Fun. Now I just need the fscking ajuster to CALL me so I can figure out how my life is going to work out. Freaking insurance people.