Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another tech support thread: DNS settings?
Another tech support thread: DNS settings?
My ISP, Qwest, seems to have a problem with their DNS servers. They say people are having trouble because of a recent microsoft update, but my system
doesn't auto-install updates, and when I changed the other systems on my network to use an open DNS server, things started working properly again.

However, the machine with the internal modem still has problems. I changed the DNS addresses in the appropriate connection's options in Network and Dial-Up
Connections, but when I test with nslookup, it's still using the original server.

Is there some other setting somewhere else that I need to change instead? I'm using Windows 2000.

-Morgan.
DNS
The recent Microsoft patch was probably installed on their DNS servers causing the problem, and they did not have an adquate roll back plan.

Cheers,

Shayne

Well, that's interesting... since they're telling people that it's a microsoft patch on people's home machines that is causing the problem.

Qwest used to have really good tech support too... ;.;

-Morgan.

Qwest doesn't use MS Windows on their DNS servers. They use Solaris as the OS, and BIND as the app.

Try setting your DNS server to 205.171.3.65. That's resolver.qwest.net, an internal DNS farm that uses BGP tricks to get you to the fastest responding one.

The problem is that even when I change the dns settings, it still tries to use the old dns. In fact, I've changed it several times now, and it still uses
the dns from the old settings.

-Morgan.

Dumb question, I know, but: after editing the settings, have you rebooted?

As another option, try going to the command line (run CMD from the Start->Run menu item) and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Make note
of what adapter(s) and DNS entries it is using. That may help.

Windows 2000, like Win XP, supports multiple adapters to connect to the Internet with. It's possible that the one you're editing isn't the active
one.

Edit to add: I know you said you went to the right connection, but JUST IN CASE, y'know? [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

... Well, that's strange.

It seems to have been using the dns settings from one either the wireless adapter or the ethernet.... neither of which is how that computer actually connects
to the internet.

After I changed the settings it wanted me to reboot, but even without rebooting it started working again... Still, it's strange that it's using the dns
addresses from one of the internal network connections. >.>

-Morgan.

Here is an open alternative to your isp's dns servers. Just in case this becomes an issue in the future.

You dont need the one with your isp necessarily, they are just usually fastest.

http://opendns.org/

(numbers are in lower right)