Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copyright in Europe - "Use it or lose it"
Copyright in Europe - "Use it or lose it"
The European Commission has approved an extension of copyright term for music from 50 to 90 years... but if the copyright isn't being used (i.e. the music's just sitting in the company's vault), it can revert to the performer after 51 years.

See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/16 ... extension/]the story on The Register for details.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Very unhappy about it 50 years is already way to long. This should probably go to the politics forum.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Quote: CattyNebulart wrote:

Very unhappy about it 50 years is already way to long. This should probably go to the politics forum.

To revert to the creator or to stay out of the public domain?

Personally I think 50 years is about right, at which point it should go to Public Domain.

---------------------

Epsilon

To revert to public domain of course. And what is this junk about a moral right? Do engineers have a moral right to charge people who go over their bridges?
The workers who work on it?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Thats a meaningless clause.

I am sure they will continue to collect some token amount of royalties somehow, and that will keep it from ever applying.

All they will do is add it to their cds for elevator music, or something.